linux vrs windows hosting

webline

Linux Hosting tends to be a lot cheaper than windows hosting. Does that mean that windows is better because it more expensive or is Linux better because its open source? Below a few benefits of the two. Which type of Hosting is your preference?

Windows Hosting Benefits:

- ASP Support
- ASP.NET Support
- Powerful SQL Server Database
- Access Database Support
- PHP and MySQL Compatible
- IIS Web Server

Linux Hosting Benefits:

- PHP and MySQL Support
- Apache Web Server
- Mod Rewrite Support
- Chmod file permissions

Linux Hosting tends to be a lot cheaper than windows hosting. Does that mean that windows is better because it more expensive or is Linux better because its open source? Below a few benefits of the two. Which type of Hosting is your preference?

- ASP Support
- ASP.NET Support
- IIS Web Server

Linux Hosting Benefits:

- PHP and MySQL Support
- Apache Web Server
- Mod Rewrite Support
- Chmod file permissions

You should take the bias out of your question.

First, Linux hosting is not a lot cheaper

Second, you used the word "compatible" with php and mysql in windows and "support" in Linux. PHP and MySQL is supported in Windows just as its supported in Linux.

Windows supports both .NET and PHP whilst Linux supports only PHP. Moreover Windows supports MySQL, Access and MSSQL while Linux supports only MySQL

Thus from a site creator/scripting viewpoint, the platform flexibility in Windows should make that the preference. While from the viewpoint of an admin its what you know or like to work with.

Of course if one is a web host that doesn't know much about server administration, like so many out there, one probably doesn't know much about servers beyond what one sees in a control panel. Since the most popular control panels are created for Linux, that would create a preference for Linux...a preference that is borne from lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
Lack of knowledge or not, the open-source nature of the Linux environment will always attract more contributors, thus making the development a lot faster. And from an admin standpoint its a lot easier and safer to operate... and this without even considering cost as part of the argument.

Still, I am all for freedom of choice so at the end of the day...whatever rocks your boat :twocents:

I've got nothing against Windows, but I prefer Linux, not because it's cheap, because we don't use a free Linux as we like to have paid support and fast bug fixes.

In the early days there was a saying. Unix is C2 secure on a network, Windows is C2 secure until you put in on a network.

I believe those days are gone and windows is pretty damn good these days, especially with 2012 server.

NTFS does some pretty funky stuff with permissions that Linux guys would chew their arm off to get. It makes it great for use as an office server OS, but this isn't necessary for hosting.

I prefer Linux as it is the most popular platform, which needs the least resources and has the lowest TCO for us.

I don't believe there is a best OS, you go use what you need for your application.

The majority of new sites we host are Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal & Ghost, which we believe run best of Linux, as they were written to run on Linux.

I bet the mix is different on Windows hosts as their customers will probably have chosen them for different reasons.

It mostly depends upon you and your clients needs. Is ASP needed? Is .net needed? If not, Linux is a better choice in my opinion. It's more stable and can be much more secure (with a little hardening).

If given a choice, anyone would prefer Linux over Windows due to multiple reasons. Linux is not only more secured and reliable, but also more cost efficient than Windows. At the end it totally depends upon the system requirements of the user.

In terms of VPS hosting.

OpenVZ = Linux.
KVM = Anything, windows, linux etc

KVM is more expensive as it's totally dedicated, but a lot of providers don't allow windows, as windows tends to hammer the I/O.

Alexander

Windows and Linux both type of Servers supports PHP and MySQL Hosting. Linux can be optimized to work in almost any environment and provides overall increased performance. Windows Server works seamlessly and it provides ease of use. Windows Server offers support for ASP and ASP.NET for website hosting, something that a Linux server can’t offer. If you are working mainly in HTML, PHP, Javascript, etc. then you will never notice the difference between these two.

If given a choice, anyone would prefer Linux over Windows due to multiple reasons. Linux is not only more secured and reliable, but also more cost efficient than Windows. At the end it totally depends upon the system requirements of the user.

That's a false statement. While Linux have proven to be secure, stable and reliable; it's only that good because the admin driving it made it that good. To be fair to windows, I've seen linux systems fail at stability and security.

Windows now days is very stable and works well, as long as the admin driving it knows what he or she is doing. Windows has also done alot to make a better system.

Personally I'm a linux man all around. But the only reason I use windows is because I game, and use some windows apps that don't work well on linux and I don't care to run Wine since I have windows.

Reason to prefer linux
  • It's open source
  • It will continue to be free
  • Has a larger community and support than windows could ever dream of.
  • It supports a vast amount of software apache, php, mysql, many other databases, perl, basically anything you need in a server
  • It has been proven very stable and has matured well.
  • It keeps cost down and comercial linux tends to be cheaper than windows, thus helping keeping the cost down.
  • Patches are often quickly release by somebody some where to fix a security concern

Reason to choose windows
  • Backed by commercial support
  • Runs ASP.net and other microsoft only based software
  • Is stable
  • Does support PHP, SQL, Limited Perl and has IIS Built in.

Both system are only good as the admins behind them. I hate windows because of the nature they control the market, but what can I say, they are a business striving to dominate.

But I like Linux which I use CentOS, Cloudlinux, and Debian.

I hope my post gives you a better understanding as I tried not to make it a biased statement.

I prefer Linux hosting, because I love open source. I suppose that a product developed and debugged by thousands of users is more reliable and secure.

In addiction, most of CMS like WordPress, suggest from their official page to use Linux hosting.

Nowadays there is minor price difference for Windows and Linux shared hosting. You can select the service based on your needs. If you are using ASP, Microsoft SQL server etc. in your website, you are left with no choice other than Windows. If you are only using PHP and MySQL for your website, you can go for Linux hosting.

For VPS, Linux is little cheap due to several reasons (i.e. OS license, minimum disk requirements for OS, RAM requirements and many other factors).

Just a day or two ago, I came across one host which was offering mixed reseller hosting. I just forgot the name. They were offering Linux+Windows reseller in one account and reseller can create his choice of accounts. I think this is a good idea.

Which operating system would be suitable for you, it totally depends on your requirements. If your website site support all open source software then you can go with Linux hosting otherwise if you want any Microsoft product to develop your website then you have to choose windows hosting.

Linux is more secure, flexible,reliable,platform independent & also cost efficient than windows. Windows is a good choice for those who use ASP or .net services.

Practically developers know suitable type of hosting, depending on the languages used or languages an application is based on. Linux is currently dominant for hosting on the web.

We are using Linux because it is more flexible, independent and secure than windows.

You should choose Windows only if you want to create ASP or ASP.NET applications.

Linux is much faster than Windows. Remember that Windows costs.

Well it depends on your website scripting language. If your website is PHP based and using MySQL DB then Linux is best option and If your website is .NET based and using MSSQL DB then you should go with Windows hosting.

It is better to pick a Web host based on its features and services rather than on what operating system...is running on its Web servers, as the difference between the two is very little

- ASP Support
- ASP.NET Support
- IIS Web Server

Linux Hosting Benefits:

- PHP and MySQL Support
- Apache Web Server
- Mod Rewrite Support
- Chmod file permissions