How to choose a hosting company that will maintain good services over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely true. The age of a domain name shouldn't be the only determining factor.

But a domain name that was registered last month and is selling web hosting plans will definitely come across as more shady than a domain name that has been around for 20 years.

Now does that mean that the 1 month old domain is not legitimate? No. But does it mean that the 20 year old domain is not legitimate? Probably not, since it has a higher chance of having a higher reputation.

But you may have been in the hosting industry for the last 30 years and know it inside out as an employee, but made redundant, so you decide to go it along and purchase a domain and get a site template.

anyone looking you up will just see a new business with a new domain, does that mean the company cannot be trusted.
Everyone has to start somewhere.

Again, I'm not saying that just because a domain name isn't very old means the company can't be trusted.

But at the same time, you shouldn't be surprised if people are cautious with you if the domain name of your business isn't very old.

There are millions of web hosting companies out there. It's way too easy for some random Joe to order a VPS, install cPanel, install WHMCS ..., profit!

Having an older domain name - or at least something that builds your reputation - is a way to set yourself apart from all of those random Joe's.

I don't disagree with looking at the age of a domain name, but as many others have said you have to look at the whole picture.

A key thing many people overlook is simply does the company list a physical address, do they have a phone number to get ahold of them?

Having some kind of 'corporate' information to go on and verify they actually exist as a registered company always helps eliminate a ton of not-so-good choices.

Always check the following things:
1. Provider Reputation
2. Age of the provider
3. Whatever you do, make sure you keep updated backups of your server, no matter what or how big the hosting company is.

You need to know Everything when choosing the right web host for your Websites because Every*hosting provider*claims their plans are the*best. But that's not always true. *

Always check the following things:
1. Right Hosting Package.
2. Read Web Hosting Reviews.
3. Get the Right Amount of Bandwidth.
4. Don't Get Stuck on Price.
5. Read the Terms of Service.

Well firstly a good indicator of a quality hosting company is their services

For example we know about the http to https requirement happening right now, i have found my website clients on better hosts get a auto lets encrypt certificate and redirect, i find the hosts i always have issues with make you do this manually.

Its those little extra service features that are the indicators of somebody , a company that wants to stick around and grow and not a group of people who decided to make a passive income.

When everything is fine does your hosting company email you ? on new php versions? Hosting deals ? Do they let you know the status of your bandwidth? or are these things you have to go find out.

Phone calls when tickets are opened what is the follow up like? DO THEY ASK YOU TO RATE THE SERViCE after you issue is resolved .... anybody who is recording employee ratings is looking to stick around.

Sadly business is business sometimes people set out with the best of intentions and great plans but life throws them a blind one. You can never say 100% for sure that they would be around forever however a educated assumption is a better way

A provider that has been in business for a long time does not automatically mean good reliable hosting. Finding a good hosting provider is trial-and-error which is why you want to look for ones that offer a money back guarantee.

Its really too tough work to find or suggest any hosting company like this what you are asking for
Any company it may be a possibility exist that work nowadays better may be worst next few days
But one more thing that i never suggest you go with review not every review is real i feel this so sharing here
its better ask them and bound the provider with some T&C so they can do refund if their is more irritation
and feel by yourself what is good and what not

No matter which company you host with the following will ensure you that can switch quickly.

1. Separate your concerns. Purchase your domain from a different place to where you host your site. This ensures that you can always change your nameservers and switch hosts.
2. Take regular backups to your home/office/off-site location.

These two things will mean that you can move quickly if you have to.

If you suspect you might have to move then it's better to use pop3 than imap for instance, as you won't lose your email when you move between servers.
Or use an imap copying service.

All companies change as they get bigger.
Years ago I would change the underlying servers config to land a customer.

These days we know how and why to set up a server and rarely change something as that will have consequences for everyone else on the server.
The needs of the many will always outweigh the needs of the few on a shared server.

Most configurations are available now through CloudLinux, so this is not as much as a factor these days anyway.

I think it's as much of a consideration of what service to take than what which host. On the whole you can expect better uptime from a VPS than shared hosting. If CloudLinux is used and configured correctly, it's likely that you will get more performance per buck on a shared server than a VPS and comparible uptime.

Consider your needs, how much does an hour of downtime cost you?
Only when you consider these numbers can you really decide what it's worth spending on your hosting.

I have no sympathy for a client who spends $10,000 on Adwords and sending so many people to their $20 VPS or shared hosting server, that their site is down.

But spending $10,000 on a service and only having $20 for your advertising is also wrong.

Just remember that you are a partner with your host. An basic engineer costs $25/hour and an great engineer costs more than $40/hour.

When you spend $4 on hosting (even if the hosting was free to the host) that's only 6 minutes of time from the good engineer or 10 minutes of basic engineer time a month and the company makes a loss.

You don't want to be at a company that makes a loss.

That means you have two options
1. Choose a solution that doesn't need much support
2. Pay more for your hosting inline with your support needs

The size of the company doesn't matter. A large hosting company can also maintain the quality of services over a period of time. Even they have the resources to have a large technical support team to take care of the queries of every customer. While for a small hosting company it can be difficult to manage even a small number of clients.

While for a small hosting company it can be difficult to manage even a small number of clients.
Not really, it all depends on the knowledge the host has.
I ran my first hosting business for 18 years as a 1 man band and have a very large number of clients and managed them well. I did always go for managed servers as I knew that if needed I had the help of the server admins.

Not really, it all depends on the knowledge the host has.
I ran my first hosting business for 18 years as a 1 man band and have a very large number of clients and managed them well. I did always go for managed servers as I knew that if needed I had the help of the server admins.
Yeah, that's why it differs from company to company. No matter whether it's small or large.

An easy way to find out about the reputation of a web hosting company is to read reviews and testimonials from their previous customers.
And remember, Some hosting providers offer so-called unlimited storage and bandwidth for a few dollars a month. This deal often isn't what it seems to be. If you pay three bucks a month for hosting, there will likely be something in your terms of service allowing your hosting provider to either throttle your performance or shut you down after a certain usage level.
Hope it helps.

Research, trial, and error is the only way to find the company that will fit your needs.
Smaller companies that try to get market share tend to treat their clients better, bigger companies tend to be overworked.

Checkout the reviews for the companies that you have shortlisted. Try to get a trial service and see if they have money back guarantee. Check how they performance for the first month and if you are satisfied with them, you can stay with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.