How smart do you have to be?

TJR Networks said:
I guess it all comes down to evaluating how knowledgeable a customer is before answering their question. However, I think one could be forgiven for assuming that most people understand 'copy' a CD to mean 'burn' a copy.

So if he wanted a copy of her casette tape, do you think she would've run off and photocopied her casette tape?

Even my 92 year old grandpa who JUST found out what a Skittle is (Sharp as a tack still. The skittle thing is not part of a "senior moment") knows the difference between a copy of a CD and a photocopy of a CD. I'm sorry but I think the lady was pulling a prank on ANM, and when someone says "Copy of a --" whether it's a CD, casette tape, or video tape, I think they know, it's not a photocopy. :)

I guess it all comes down to evaluating how knowledgeable a customer is before answering their question.

We try not to make them stupid, as much as possible. I believe if we would have asked most clients if they knew what a copy of her CD was, they would have been offended, and contemplated that we were implying that they were stupid.

Sometimes you simply cannot evaluate their knowledge, to that level, without offending them, and insulting their intelligence.

ANMMark said:
Sometimes you simply cannot evaluate their knowledge, to that level, without offending them, and insulting their intelligence.

With the few friends I give webspace to on my account, they have come up with some pretty "interesting" questions which has made me question if they are as knowledgeable as they claim to be.

In those instances, I have constructed a response and just tell them its a "form letter FAQ" that deals with their question. It goes step by step by step in so much detail that a first time computer user could accomplish doing it. So ... by indicating its a "preconstructed" instruction sheet ... they don't feel I think they are stupid ... just that I am lazy because I didn't respond to them with an "original" email.

Mind you, if I go to the trouble of making up an email with detailed instructions ... they better not come back with any questions. When they have I have usually just responded with something like "if you did not understand the instructions ... read them again". Then again, I don't charge these friends for the space I provide them ... so I don't care if I get rude or testy once in a while :D

It's for instances like this that I feel its probably in a web hosts best interest to have "in detail" FAQ pages available to their customers. When a customer comes up with a question ... you can just point them to the FAQ sheet that you have made so beginners can understand. Then you don't have to try to guess the customer's level of knowledge. They read the instructions and take away from it the info they need ... whether they are beginner or "expert".

JMHO
Peter

Now that is a new one!

ANMMark said:
Okay now, I'm typically not one to go spreading around things that our customers do, but I simply cannot help it this time. This is just too...well....you read for yourself, and keep in mind that this was just the start of the ID-10-T errors we have encountered today.

Note: Names, and domains were excluded for privacy reasons.

A few days ago, we receive a ticket from a nice lady, who is trying to switch to our company.

She writes:
"Hello,

I run a personal website from my home, and have hosted locally for about 6 months. Currently my local provider has been down for 3 days, and I do not have my files from there. I do have them on CD however, but do not know how to move them from the CD to your server, once I setup an account with you guys.

Thank you"

Our support manager Dan replied:
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in AvidNewMedia.

You will be able to copy your files to a folder on your hard drive, and then upload them via FTP to your account on our server, once the account has been setup.

If you need assistance with this, please let us know, and we'll be happy to walk you through it step by step.

Thanks,
Dan
AvidNewMedia
Tech Manager"

Now after quite a few emails back and forth via our helpdesk, the nice lady was simply not understanding. So, Dan writes:

"Hi,

While this may take a few days, if you would like, you can send us copies of your discs, and we can handle the upload from here. You will however, need to setup your account before we can upload the files for you.

If you choose to setup your account today, we will credit your account for the days until we receive your package and upload the files.

Thanks,
Dan
AvidNewMedia
Tech Manager"

Today, I personally received her package.

Inside, I find a letter and 3 sheets of paper. The letter explained that she apologized for the delay in sending the copies of her discs, and that she had included them.

The additional 3 sheets of paper were the actual photocopied pictures of her discs.

It took me a few mins to understand just what was going on. So, I had to check around the office to see if anyone knew. Dan remembered her name, and informed me that he asked her for copies of her discs.

I handed him the copies and walked away.

ANMMark said:
Okay now, I'm typically not one to go spreading around things that our customers do, but I simply cannot help it this time. This is just too...well....you read for yourself, and keep in mind that this was just the start of the ID-10-T errors we have encountered today.

Note: Names, and domains were excluded for privacy reasons.

A few days ago, we receive a ticket from a nice lady, who is trying to switch to our company.

She writes:
"Hello,

I run a personal website from my home, and have hosted locally for about 6 months. Currently my local provider has been down for 3 days, and I do not have my files from there. I do have them on CD however, but do not know how to move them from the CD to your server, once I setup an account with you guys.

Thank you"

Our support manager Dan replied:
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in AvidNewMedia.

You will be able to copy your files to a folder on your hard drive, and then upload them via FTP to your account on our server, once the account has been setup.

If you need assistance with this, please let us know, and we'll be happy to walk you through it step by step.

Thanks,
Dan
AvidNewMedia
Tech Manager"

Now after quite a few emails back and forth via our helpdesk, the nice lady was simply not understanding. So, Dan writes:

"Hi,

While this may take a few days, if you would like, you can send us copies of your discs, and we can handle the upload from here. You will however, need to setup your account before we can upload the files for you.

If you choose to setup your account today, we will credit your account for the days until we receive your package and upload the files.

Thanks,
Dan
AvidNewMedia
Tech Manager"

Today, I personally received her package.

Inside, I find a letter and 3 sheets of paper. The letter explained that she apologized for the delay in sending the copies of her discs, and that she had included them.

The additional 3 sheets of paper were the actual photocopied pictures of her discs.

It took me a few mins to understand just what was going on. So, I had to check around the office to see if anyone knew. Dan remembered her name, and informed me that he asked her for copies of her discs.

I handed him the copies and walked away.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! thats hillarious! wow..... :D :thumbsup:

Are you still waiting on her CD? It has been almost 2 years since the original post. I am sure the matter has been settled, one way or another.

Last edited:
Wow, I really don't believe people these days. They're just way too funny. You should give the poor lady some credit, I mean at least she tried, right? Also - that was pretty darn good John, haha. I wonder if you guys have heard from her since, or you just walked away and left her alone with copies of her CD's.

Have a good one fellas'

Hehe. Its funny to see this kind of 'strange' things still happen today. I feel a bit sorry for the girl too. Seriously!

Another similar case that I've encounter before is when supporting a customer in front her PC. When she said she saw sand dropping non-stop in front of her monitor I was really shocked. After further investigation, it was just actually her cursor showing hourglass icon. *Sigh..