How smart do you have to be?

ANMMark

Okay now, I'm typically not one to go spreading around things that our customers do, but I simply cannot help it this time. This is just too...well....you read for yourself, and keep in mind that this was just the start of the ID-10-T errors we have encountered today.

Note: Names, and domains were excluded for privacy reasons.

A few days ago, we receive a ticket from a nice lady, who is trying to switch to our company.

She writes:
"Hello,

I run a personal website from my home, and have hosted locally for about 6 months. Currently my local provider has been down for 3 days, and I do not have my files from there. I do have them on CD however, but do not know how to move them from the CD to your server, once I setup an account with you guys.

Thank you"

Our support manager Dan replied:
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in AvidNewMedia.

You will be able to copy your files to a folder on your hard drive, and then upload them via FTP to your account on our server, once the account has been setup.

If you need assistance with this, please let us know, and we'll be happy to walk you through it step by step.

Thanks,
Dan
AvidNewMedia
Tech Manager"

Now after quite a few emails back and forth via our helpdesk, the nice lady was simply not understanding. So, Dan writes:

"Hi,

While this may take a few days, if you would like, you can send us copies of your discs, and we can handle the upload from here. You will however, need to setup your account before we can upload the files for you.

If you choose to setup your account today, we will credit your account for the days until we receive your package and upload the files.

Thanks,
Dan
AvidNewMedia
Tech Manager"

Today, I personally received her package.

Inside, I find a letter and 3 sheets of paper. The letter explained that she apologized for the delay in sending the copies of her discs, and that she had included them.

The additional 3 sheets of paper were the actual photocopied pictures of her discs.

It took me a few mins to understand just what was going on. So, I had to check around the office to see if anyone knew. Dan remembered her name, and informed me that he asked her for copies of her discs.

I handed him the copies and walked away.

Although the support representative may have been ambiguous in his response to her, a "copy" of a CD has become so common in today's world that no misunderstanding should have resulted.

How smart do you have to be?
Even though you may have a customer that is not aware of modern terminology, she was definitely "smart" enough to choose a reliable web hosting company. ;)

Even though you may have a customer that is not aware of modern terminology, she was definitely "smart" enough to choose a reliable web hosting company

I'd like to think so. However, I can't help but wonder if she did it purposely.

Mark, kudos to your tech manager Dan for handling the request with such professionalism. Some other companies would have tried to avoid helping a customer.

As far as this lady goes, its a pity that she doesn't have anyone around her to help her with technology or web site maintenance. Until then, I'm afraid you'll be seeing more photocopies of her CDs.

Don't tell her she has to "burn" the disc.
:D

Somehow, if she really thought that's what he meant, I don't think she burned her files on to the CD herself. So I can imagine how difficult it will be trying to walk her through THAT process, without the slightest knowledge of what software she has, etc.

I mean, I don't want to put her down, but as stated, you would think the term "copy of your disc" is so common that it's self explanitory.

You think this "lady" is some teenage punk playing a prank on you, or are you convinced its a light headed lady?

*GG to Dan for handling it well I must say

Funny; really funny! :D

If this was not a prank, the lady needs to be advised to find someone to help her maintain her site or explain her the basics of website maintenance. At the very least, refer her to a couple of websites with detailed tutorials or something.

In all honesty, I really wouldn't want to be the one who has to take care of her and make sure at the same time that she's not going to misinterpret my words and think I'm patronising her or looking down on her.

Vito needs to setp in with a DemoDemo tut. on installing a CD-Burner and copying a CD :)

Perhaps call her or have her call you? How'd the day end the situation Mark? I'm kinda curious.

On a side note CD-Rs are friggin' crazy expensive. Office Depot has a 100pack for $18.99, no rebates, but the nearest one is a half hour drive and all the stores around here won't pricematch to online ads. Also on a related note the half hour drive is out of the nation's safest driving city - Cedar Rapids, IA. :D

That's just hilarious. Kudos on handling it with such patience.

Exon said:
Don't tell her she has to "burn" the disc.

OK, John. You owe me $6.95 for dry cleaning. When I read your post, I spit up my coffee all over my shirt! :smash:

Vito

If i didn't hang around on the Internet often or noone told me how to burn or copy a CD, i would not know what it means either.

Some of my friends didn't know how to use Microsoft Word 2 years ago.

Well, I honestly don't think it's the process of burning a CD that's a question, but more so the term "copy of your discs". Whether you know how to copy them or not, almost everyone knows that the term does not mean, "Go run off photocopied pictures of your CDs."

Don't know how I missed this thread before :D This is priceless Mark :D Maybe some of my "dumb questions" weren't so dumb after all hehehehe :D

You know a number of years ago ... a joke was circulating about dumb questions to Support Desks? One of them was that their cup holder stopped working? I thought it, along with some others in the joke, were made up.

Last week I ran into that at a neighbors. They wanted me to help them learn to use a new program. When I arrived, the husband was using the DVD player as a cup holder ... wanted to know if I wanted a coffee before he "put the cup holder away". I thought he was joking ... he wasn't :D

Shows to go you .....
Peter

Whether you know how to copy them or not, almost everyone knows that the term does not mean, "Go run off photocopied pictures of your CDs."

I guess it all comes down to evaluating how knowledgeable a customer is before answering their question. However, I think one could be forgiven for assuming that most people understand 'copy' a CD to mean 'burn' a copy.

Maybe some of my "dumb questions" weren't so dumb after all hehehehe

The only dumb question is the one not asked. :D