How busy does a small reseller get?

It's as busy as you are willing to make it :)

I agree with this.

You can make less work for yourself in the long run if you create a good set of tutorials and a large knowledgebase/FAQ, so that your clients can check these for solutions without the need to contact you direct, although you will get clients who will always prefer to contact you

I said UNDER 1GB

cPanel can also be installed on a 512MB server, but will be very slow,and get slower if you add websites so it is recommended to use at least a 1GB server

Ah my mistake I misread your message. Even still, cPanel from experience runs perfectly fine on a 512mb ram server in terms of performance. Though once you start to fill it with websites, eh...

S small vps in my opinion is sub 8gb of RAM.

Wow. sub 8GB ram? Not small in my books!

Ah my mistake I misread your message. Even still, cPanel from experience runs perfectly fine on a 512mb ram server in terms of performance. Though once you start to fill it with websites, eh...

that what i was saying, cPanel even state min. 512mb with 1GB recommended

Wow. sub 8GB ram? Not small in my books!

same here, you just need to look at the net and i would say 99.99% of advertised VPS are 1 to 2 GB ram, which is what most people have, although we have a 2GB/burst 4GB server, but i think after 4GB you are looking at a dedicated server.

that what i was saying, cPanel even state min. 512mb with 1GB recommended

same here, you just need to look at the net and i would say 99.99% of advertised VPS are 1 to 2 GB ram, which is what most people have, although we have a 2GB/burst 4GB server, but i think after 4GB you are looking at a dedicated server.

+1 An 8GB VPS is simply to much :) - If you require that much ram you should defiantly consider upgrading to a dedicated server.

+1 An 8GB VPS is simply to much :) - If you require that much ram you should defiantly consider upgrading to a dedicated server.

Some companies get away by calling their offerings on a semi-dedicated server.
i.e. a Dedicated server shared between 2 VPS (so they get a larger amount of RAM etc).

i think the process from a reseller should be a VPS and then dedicated, this way you get used to running and managing a server

i think the process from a reseller should be a VPS and then dedicated, this way you get used to running and managing a server

Poor advice. Sadly, too many hosts are like these, learning server management on production servers. They should learn server management on a lab server, while they are reselling, not on the customer's server -- vps or not. This would make a better host

When I first started hosting there was really no such thing as a VPS (at lease in hosting market). I had to go from reseller to dedicated (to colo). But I already knew how to manage a server since I was a sys admin by profession.

Last edited:
Poor advice. Sadly, too many hosts are like these, learning server management on production servers. They should learn server management on a lab server, while they are reselling, not on the customer's server -- vps or not. This would make a better host

When I first started hosting there was really no such thing as a VPS (at lease in hosting market). I had to go from reseller to dedicated (to colo). But I already knew how to manage a server since I was a sys admin by profession.

It is not bad advice as yes learning on a test server, but their are processes that need to be learned on a production server. I learned on a production server without any problems towards clients. I now have a test server where i can replicate issues to learn

one thing I am not clear about is why do big hosting companies offer reselling?
In the end it just creates more competition for them.

I am sorry and another question. Is it better to resell VPS or shared hosting.

It seems to me that shared hosting plans are so low priced that it is very hard to make profit.

If you have a reseller account that costs your $10 a month, they you can easily make a profit selling shared hosting plans.

If you have a VPS then you can easily make a profit selling reseller plans and then just let your clients sell shared plans, as long as your clients pay you then what they make is no concern of yours and no competition for you if you dont offer shared plans. 95% of our clients have reseller plans, with very few selling hosting direct, most have their own sites and it works cheaper have a reseller plan, i have several designers who design sites and offer hosting space as part of their designed sites. the 5% on shared plans are ones where we have a niche service of providing fully installed sites

It depends whether the client is weighing which factor the most. If the client is weighing uptime, availability and other factors over the price, and if you are able to provide them exactly what they want, then definitely it would benefit you, despite what plan are you reselling - VPS or Shared.

Also, the trust is another thing that will help you increase your client base. Suffice your existing clients with the expected things and see how your customer base as well as revenue will grow. Just purchasing and reselling the plans won't work anymore. You need to take initiative in every aspect and enhance the service by your own.

Just curious about reselling - perhaps that's how it stared for all of you as well ....

Anyway if I assume a "typical" small reseller being effectively a one man shop with a bit of advertising.

How busy does it get ? How many new accounts would you be adding a day and how much time do you spend fixing user problems - or is small (one man) reselling just a no go - as soon as you add users you need a full time support team.

I have a reseller account with some clients on, think I've had three tickets in the 4-5 years that I've had it.
I make small time money on it but it's a side business where I would like to do as little as possible on it. :)

No advertising done except a few times in the beginning but nohing the last years since I don't want it to grow. it's fine where it is right now. Every now and then I get a new client or loose one of the ones I had.... but that's life.

If you have a reseller account that costs your $10 a month, they you can easily make a profit selling shared hosting plans.

If you have a VPS then you can easily make a profit selling reseller plans and then just let your clients sell shared plans, as long as your clients pay you then what they make is no concern of yours and no competition for you if you dont offer shared plans. 95% of our clients have reseller plans, with very few selling hosting direct, most have their own sites and it works cheaper have a reseller plan, i have several designers who design sites and offer hosting space as part of their designed sites. the 5% on shared plans are ones where we have a niche service of providing fully installed sites

Thanks on answering my question.

I think I will need to dig much deeper into technical side of things.

The way you describe it it seems very fragile thing.

Reselling hosting where you serve customers without even ever seeing physical server.

My apologies for such basic questions I am quite new.

Thanks on answering my question.

I think I will need to dig much deeper into technical side of things.

The way you describe it it seems very fragile thing.

Reselling hosting where you serve customers without even ever seeing physical server.

My apologies for such basic questions I am quite new.

the only way you would see the physical server is if you own the hardware and colocate to a datacenter that you can visit.

their a lot more technical aspects in running a VPS than their is if you have a reseller account.