How busy does a small reseller get?

Cryptonomicon

Just curious about reselling - perhaps that's how it stared for all of you as well ....

Anyway if I assume a "typical" small reseller being effectively a one man shop with a bit of advertising.

How busy does it get ? How many new accounts would you be adding a day and how much time do you spend fixing user problems - or is small (one man) reselling just a no go - as soon as you add users you need a full time support team.

Just curious about reselling - perhaps that's how it stared for all of you as well ....

Anyway if I assume a "typical" small reseller being effectively a one man shop with a bit of advertising.

How busy does it get ? How many new accounts would you be adding a day and how much time do you spend fixing user problems - or is small (one man) reselling just a no go - as soon as you add users you need a full time support team.

best way to start as a small reseller to build up a reputation and a clientbase. for the amount of accounts, that all depends on your market and what advertising you do, you need to be available to help your clients out if they need help, but if you have a good server and good host then everything should run smoothly. As for one man band businesses. this is how i started in 1999 and still am to this day, yes had occasional staff, but prefer to do things on my own. now i have 3 VPS and many clients and cope well

easyhostmedia you do it as a one man show? Well there is hope for thr unenlightened

I will dig through some of your previous posts - I might learn something.

easyhostmedia you do it as a one man show? Well there is hope for thr unenlightened

I will dig through some of your previous posts - I might learn something.

being a one man show is a lot of hard work and plenty sleepless nights, but does not bother me, i can refresh on 2 hrs sleep, normally i am at PC from 8am til 12am, but if a client asks for assistance at say 11.50 i will stay with the client until they are satisfied, even if it takes 4 hrs.

If you're only starting your business - it will take you much more time at the beginning - and then, after you learn how to make everything fast and efficiently - it won't take you much time.

You have to be "all-in-one" person: billing, sales, marketing, technical support, customer care, so one of the most important things - is to be available for your customers almost all the time. With a good hosting provider it won't take you much time to assist your customers with technical issues, and with a modern software - like billing/ticket systems, live chat, skype - you can make your work really fast.

So even if you set up a couple of orders each day, have a few chat/skype conversations with your customers and some other work to do - it will take you a few hours a day maximum to handle with small reseller account

I have a reseller account that I used to use for my own sites. To pay for the reseller account I chose a provider that included WHMCS and I then used that and an old domain to sell some hosting space to others.
As I got more involved with VPS (especially the ones with low amount of memory, paying less then $30/year for each vps) I don't have anything left on my reseller account except a few customers.
I have perhaps 5-10 tickets per year. For me its a "running by its own engine" business ... but then again, I'm not doing it for the money.

I think the best advise for a new entrant is to go with a good and reputable reseller provider, some providers even include free end-user support - perfect for the "one man shop".

But above all this is a highly competitive sector and you need to find a USP to differentiate yourself from the rest. It's not easy but certainly not impossible.

Actually, with a good hosting company you don't have to worry about fixing problems serverside, as your provider will do. That's why it's so important to have 24x7 customer support.

Actually, with a good hosting company you don't have to worry about fixing problems serverside, as your provider will do. That's why it's so important to have 24x7 customer support.

If its a reseller account then you wont have server access anyway

If its a reseller account then you wont have server access anyway

Depends on the provider. Some providers grant limited access to the server, but never complete root.

Reselling, as well as operating a full-blown hosting provider using your own dedicated hardware, can all be done as a one-man show, if that man knows what he's doing.

Like any business, reselling website hosting services requires quite a bit of work, especially in regards to advertising and promoting your services.
Quite simply, if you advertise it, they will come. If you don't, they won't.

The number of monthly signups will depend entirely on how well you promote your services. So, there is no way to determine an accurate daily/monthly signup ratio.
The same applies to the number of monthly support requests you will receive, as that number varies based on how many active clients you have.
Logically, the more clients you have, the more support you'll have to provide. However, there is no solid way to predict this, as it depends entirely on your clients themselves.
One host with 300 clients may receive 10 new tickets every month, while another host with less than 50 clients might get 100 new tickets every month.
Both of these hosts are nearly identical, but the clients themselves are vastly different. If a client is wise, and knows what he is doing, he'll require less support.

Before you start up a reseller hosting business, ask yourself; do you truly want to enter yourself into this market? Are you able to spend hundreds every month to advertise your services?
How much time are you able to dedicate to the management of your business? Do you have any experience with the management of hosting accounts, and can you provide your clients with support if they require it?

Although reselling another providers service is a great and inexpensive way to enter into the hosting industry, make no mistake, you are and will be operating your own hosting business.
You'll have to commit yourself to this business, as if you fail to pay your bills, your customers will be out of a website. Are you able to keep your business going for years to come, even if you do not make an immediate profit?

I personally have a reseller account with HostGator, and use that account to host my main business website and services. For the price I pay, I get 50 GB of disk, 500 GB of bandwidth and a free WHMCS license.
The WHMCS license itself, if ordered directly, is $15 / month. I'm paying $25 for the reseller package.
That's essentially $10 for 50 GB disk and 500 GB bandwidth.

I guess the main question is do you want a business or a side job that requires you to stay up late when someone needs support.

If you are looking for a business that pays the bills + pays the owners, then you have to have resources to put into it to make it happen.

We've purchased many hosting operations over the past 10-12 years where the owner was technically competent, but didn't have a clue about running a business. They were charging $1.95 per month for hosting, stacking 100's of sites on a server, and then would run into a hardware problem or need more server resources and wonder why they didn't have the resources to deal with it. Their only option is to find someone that will take it over. Then we are faced with telling their clients what happened & why. If they want to continue with the service, we'll give them an economical service they can depend on, but it isn't going to be $1.95. Don't be this guy. It just drives the whole industry down & speeds up the 'race to the bottom'.

I would actually avoid the VPS without much memory if I were you and stick with a good reseller account.

Memory = Speed

If you run out of memory you either swap (nanoseconds:milliseconds 10000:1 you run 10,000x slower) or if your hosts does allow swap your VPS machine would crash.

So if you share with many other domains, its alot faster than swapping.

Or get a VPS with a generous amount of memory.

Remember it only takes 1 site to go viral to knock out a small VPS, but a good reseller account should be more resilient.

Remember it only takes 1 site to go viral to knock out a small VPS, but a good reseller account should be more resilient.

9 out of 10 a reseller account will be on a VPS, could be a small VPS, you wont really know.

but what would you class as a small VPS. I would class anything under 1GB ram as small, which you would really struggle with only a control panel (DirectAdmin/cPanel) on never mind any sites

9 out of 10 a reseller account will be on a VPS, could be a small VPS, you wont really know.

but what would you class as a small VPS. I would class anything under 1GB ram as small, which you would really struggle with only a control panel (DirectAdmin/cPanel) on never mind any sites

Why? cPanel will run perfectly fine on a 1GB VPS with enough resources to host quite a few "average" websites.

Why? cPanel will run perfectly fine on a 1GB VPS with enough resources to host quite a few "average" websites.

I said UNDER 1GB

cPanel can also be installed on a 512MB server, but will be very slow,and get slower if you add websites so it is recommended to use at least a 1GB server

I use VPSs for my reseller servers for ease of deployment.

They are cloud and each node has 12 xeons and 64gb of memory.

Each node has one action vps with all procs and 32gb of memory.

Should a node fall over, the vps is picked up by the second node, so the cpu is stained a little until the failed node is fixed and the vps fails back again.

S small vps in my opinion is sub 8gb of RAM.

We started with Cobalt Raq's back in 2001. It's so cheap now days to get a Reseller Account and so many goodies come with the accounts (control panel, billing system, etc..)

Your growth depends upon you and how you market your hosting. It can be 1 - 3 a day to 1 - 3 a month when you start out. It's all up to you.

Its a lot work for sure. When I started it was a alot of sleepless nights and making sure our customers are satisfied and any problems are fixed can take time. But that helps with building a good reputation and ofcouse as your business grows you can add staff.

I do recommned that if you are starting off by selling reseller plans you find a good provider for dedicated machines that will help build your business from the ground up. A good backbone is important for any business.

My last hosting business resold for a few years and we were extremely busy I'd say. We'll just say to the point I had to hire a few people to help with new orders and support. Eventually we began buying our own hardware though as well.

It's as busy as you are willing to make it :)