Hostname Cannot be "White labeled" and important ensuring doing this?

A better way to apporcah such is to start reselling then upgrade to a VM/dedi when it going to break even/start saving you money.

yes as you also need some basic knowledge to run a VM/VPS, then it is best if starting out as a web host to start with a basic reseller account to

1) Gain experience in the hosting industry.
2) Gain a steady clientbase.
3) Gain a good reputation.

only then should you consider moving up to a VM/VPS and then if you can get a managed server this then gives you the knowledge that if you need some assistance with an issue you have some at hand.

If you have a reseller with us, you get a dedicated IP address as standard.

You can have us change the reverse DNS and the "EHLO" string for that IP in exim, so that effectively all your domains hosted on that IP appear to be on their own server.

Usually we recommend changing the reverse DNS to mail.<yourdomain>.<tld>

Unfortunately, you can still do a RIPE or ARIN lookup and see that we own the IP range, but most customers do not do that!
**This is the case with a VPS also.**
If they are this fussy, they will probably be want to be doing everything themselves anyway.

Usually we recommend changing the reverse DNS to mail.<yourdomain>.<tld>

Unfortunately, you can still do a RIPE or ARIN lookup and see that we own the IP range, but most customers do not do that!
**This is the case with a VPS also.**
If they are this fussy, they will probably be want to be doing everything themselves anyway.

Well as it is whenever you want to go fully professional a dedicated server is the solution. I think in this you are already doing good enough for reseller plans.

With Reseller Hosting it's not possible but you can have your own nameserver where as for VPS, Dedicated and Cloud you can set your own

Providers can do a simple thing to whitelabel things as much as possible. It is mentioned above and I agree with this solution. A hostname and a domain combination might work to whitelabel things a little.

E.g. server3.cpanel-severs.com:2082

----------------------------

This cpanel-servers.com domain must have nothing to do with the server provider. I know some providers are doing this and helping resellers to hide things a bit.

Providers can do a simple thing to whitelabel things as much as possible. It is mentioned above and I agree with this solution. A hostname and a domain combination might work to whitelabel things a little.

E.g. server3.cpanel-severs.com:2082

----------------------------

This cpanel-servers.com domain must have nothing to do with the server provider. I know some providers are doing this and helping resellers to hide things a bit.

yes but a reseller cant do this, it has to be done at server level.

i do this with my servers. i have a domain i use for my server hostnames that has no link to my hosting business.

E.g.
server1.cpanel-severs.com:2082
server2.cpanel-severs.com:2082
server3.cpanel-severs.com:2082

and the domain has a wildcard SSL attached to it, so all server are SSL secured.

yes but a reseller cant do this, it has to be done at server level.

i do this with my servers. i have a domain i use for my server hostnames that has no link to my hosting business.

E.g.
server1.cpanel-severs.com:2082
server2.cpanel-severs.com:2082
server3.cpanel-severs.com:2082

and the domain has a wildcard SSL attached to it, so all server are SSL secured.

Attaching a wildcard DNS is a nice idea. Because users are afraid of browser warnings and might think that login page is insecure. Some hosts miss that point.

Hi, I am just wondering if that is true that there is nothing I can do about white labeling a hostname?

Because I have a hostname from a provider who have for example "nodename.providername.com".

Then I wish to also hear inputs as well on the important of white labeling. Is it a "must" to white label as much as possible? Or a few "branding" is acceptable and most likely not have too much negative impact on customers "ditching" me?

If you are in to reselling you must choose a provider that offer white labeled host name and server names or else your clients will find out that you are just reselling.

A white label host name should look like:

server.some-white-label-domain-name.com

Also it should have a white label abuse email as well.

Hi, I am just wondering if that is true that there is nothing I can do about white labeling a hostname?

Because I have a hostname from a provider who have for example "nodename.providername.com".

Then I wish to also hear inputs as well on the important of white labeling. Is it a "must" to white label as much as possible? Or a few "branding" is acceptable and most likely not have too much negative impact on customers "ditching" me?

The hostname can be whitelabelled you just have to ensure your ssl is setup correctly on both the server hostname and your resellers domain name. Also make sure you are requesting the correct ssl port when accessing whm/cPanel.

There is no need to buy SSL for your hostnames anymore if you are running cPanel as they are providing free SSL through their marketplace for all cPanel operated servers.

There is no need to buy SSL for your hostnames anymore if you are running cPanel as they are providing free SSL through their marketplace for all cPanel operated servers.

If you are talking about Lets encrypt then i dont trust these free ssl certs

If you are talking about Home »Market »Market Provider Manager from WHM then nothing free

cPanel DV SSL Certificate you have to change a min $3 per domain
COMODO DV SSL Certificate you have to change a min $12 per domain

and none of these will work on a hostname

If you are talking about Lets encrypt then i dont trust these free ssl certs

If you are talking about Home »Market »Market Provider Manager from WHM then nothing free

cPanel DV SSL Certificate you have to change a min $3 per domain
COMODO DV SSL Certificate you have to change a min $12 per domain

and none of these will work on a hostname

And why you don't trust free SSL?
There is no difference between selfsigned or free or EV SSL when it comes security...just make sure you generate CSR on your server and that is it..When it comes encryption between your server and user....EV SSL is secure exactlly the same as self signed SSL or any Free SSL...encryption is encryption..if you are paranoid you just make sure you use own server to generate CSR and that is it...do you at least know who stan behind let's encrypt?
It is Internet Security Research Group (ISRG);

Here is list;

Josh Aas (ISRG) — ISRG Executive Director
Stephen Ludin (Akamai)
J. Alex Halderman (University of Michigan)
Jennifer Granick (Stanford Law School)
Laura Thomson (Mozilla)
Cullen Jennings (Cisco)
Peter Eckersley (EFF)
Alex Polvi (CoreOS)
Pascal Jaillon (OVH)
but it doesn't really meter,when you generate CSR,only you have your key..you are using their infrastucture just to encrypt data..nothing else...everything else is done on your server..your server will serve everything and only your server can decrypt data because CSR is generated on your server.

Last edited:
And why you don't trust free SSL?
There is no difference between selfsigned or free or EV SSL when it comes security...just make sure you generate CSR on your server and that is it..When it comes encryption between your server and user....EV SSL is secure exactlly the same as self signed SSL or any Free SSL...encryption is encryption..if you are paranoid you just make sure you use own server to generate CSR and that is it...do you at least know who stan behind let's encrypt?
It is Internet Security Research Group (ISRG);

Here is list;

Josh Aas (ISRG) — ISRG Executive Director
Stephen Ludin (Akamai)
J. Alex Halderman (University of Michigan)
Jennifer Granick (Stanford Law School)
Laura Thomson (Mozilla)
Cullen Jennings (Cisco)
Peter Eckersley (EFF)
Alex Polvi (CoreOS)
Pascal Jaillon (OVH)
but it doesn't really meter,when you generate CSR,only you have your key..you are using their infrastucture just to encrypt data..nothing else...everything else is done on your server..your server will serve everything and only your server can decrypt data because CSR is generated on your server.

well i have been in the hosting business since 1999 and a lot of websites etc. will throw up untrusted messages with self signed and free SSL certs as these do not give you the same protection as a paid SSL cert.

Only self signed crt throw up message but not because protection is not the same,it is just because they don't know you..you are not thrusted authority.and that is it...encryption is encryption....
let's encrypt is trusted authority and don't throw any message...I'm not sure you understand how SSL work....in terms of protection there is no any diferent...it works like this..I don't know you but I know Comodo..or VeriSign...but in terms of protection and traffic enryption...they don't posses some alien technology for encryption.....SSL generated on your server and EV SSL on Verisign are the same level of protection when it come main SSL purpose...traffic enryption....chain of trust is what you don't have with self signed SSL..but with let's encrypt you have..since they are trusted authority and let's encrypt doesn't throw any error,in fact it is not error..it's message that they don't trust SSL issuer....once you add selfSigned SSL as trusted...there is no any diffirent(that is why you can add it as exception)
So first level domain validated paid SSL is same as Self Signed..since it is only validated by e-mail..I don't see any adventage at all....but since most users/buyers don't understand this..and they only see that ugly message you as company must have it...but only EV SSL provide at least some higher level of protection than self signed SSL..since validation process is much restrictive
In short let's encrypt or any paid domain validated SSl....same thing....you will not see message about non trusted issuer...with Self Signed you will..and that is only different between them.....
That is why most providers and devs use self signed SSL on own and production servers....it is pointless to buy SSL for something you don't need chain of trust(you trust yourself)...traffic encryption is only thing you need there....

Last edited:
Only self signed crt throw up message but not because protection is not the same,it is just because they don't know you..you are not thrusted authority.and that is it...encryption is encryption....
let's encrypt is trusted authority and don't throw any message...I'm not sure you understand how SSL work....in terms of protection there is no any diferent...it works like this..I don't know you but I know Comodo..or VeriSign...but in terms of protection and traffic enryption...they don't posses some alien technology for encryption.....SSL generated on your server and EV SSL on Verisign are the same level of protection when it come main SSL purpose...traffic enryption....chain of trust is what you don't have with self signed SSL..but with let's encrypt you have..since they are trusted authority and let's encrypt doesn't throw any error,in fact it is not error..it's message that they don't trust SSL issuer....once you add selfSigned SSL as trusted...there is no any diffirent(that is why you can add it as exception)
So first level domain validated paid SSL is same as Self Signed..since it is only validated by e-mail..I don't see any adventage at all....but since most users/buyers don't understand this..and they only see that ugly message you as company must have it...but only EV SSL provide at least some higher level of protection than self signed SSL..since validation process is much restrictive
In short let's encrypt or any paid domain validated SSl....same thing....you will not see message about non trusted issuer...with Self Signed you will..and that is only different between them.....
That is why most providers and devs use self signed SSL on own and production servers....it is pointless to buy SSL for something you don't need chain of trust(you trust yourself)...traffic encryption is only thing you need there....

they are free for a reason, because you don't get the same protection or assurance like you do with a paid SSL

Self Signed
Free
Domain Validated certificates (DV),
Organization Validated certificate (OV)
Extended Validation certificates (EV)

all give different levels or security and assurances, which is why EV costs more than OV and OV cost more than DV and why you get free SSL.

It does not matter who is on the board of let's encrypt they still give free SSL certs which is enough to comply with googles new indexing processes

My god you really don't know what is SSL and how it work....
I suggest you to make some reaserch....
Now here is few facts for you(not my opinions..but proven facts)
If you order OV SSL or EV SSL...you will get same SSL...same ...EV mean they will make check on you and your company...but SSL is exactly the same....and...they provide you same SSL you can generate by your self...use same technology....
Your server is one that make encryption(that is why you must install it)...not their..once they give you SSL you are finish with them...there is no communication any more...
Once again make some reaserch...SelfSignedSSL,Free SSL or any paid SSL provide same level of traffic encryption..and once again it is fact..not opinion.....I will provide you here same material so you can read..it sad that I can find people who don't understand these basics...it is not proble when my buyer don't know this..but you must understand it since you are in this business.....It is all about trust...SSL resolve only 2 things..
1.traffic encryption....it is what SSL is about
2.trust of chain...marketing thing
I repeat 256 bit encryption is 256 bit encryption evrywhere.....OpenSSL is Open SSL everywhere.....only thing why companies goes for EV SSL is marketing purpose...protection is same like DV SSL but with EV you are telling your customers that you are real company and that your company is verified....
And level of assurance is just marketing..nothing more...

Last edited:
This is explanation from one SSL issuer website..about SSL levels..as you see there is no different in SSL itself..only in verification methods..nothing more..that is why you can generate CSR on your server( to protect and make sure you only have your key)and submit that CSR to generate SSL...
SSL is encryption...and 256 bit SSL generated on your server or Godaddy is same...othervise how your server will decript SSL you buy from someone....you are paying for verification from trusted source...and that is it...
for me it makes sence to go only for EV SSL with green bar because it makes at least your customer see that green bar....DV SSl is same like FreeSSL you get form let's Encrypt...and even broswer will tellyou that if you click on "more info"
I'm not sure what you don't understand here...

"
Although all SSL certificates use similar methods to protect and validate your data, a useful way to categorize them is by validation method. Any certificate must be verified by the issuing Certificate Authority (or CA) to ensure that it is covering the correct, authorized site. This verification confirms at a minimum control of the domain. However, more steps can be taken to also confirm the existence of the requesting company or organization (for OV certificates) or to establish even more trust through extended vetting (for EV certificates)."

Level 1: Domain Validation or DV Certificates

This is the lowest level of authentication used to issue SSL certificates. The Certificate Authority (CA) will issue this certificate to anyone listed as the domain admin contact in the public record associated with a domain name. As a result, DV certificates are issued very quickly. No company information is checked or displayed on the certificate.

When to use DV Certificates:

Situations where trust and credibility are less important such as personal websites and small forums that need basic encryption for things like logins, forms or other non-transactional data.

Pros:
– Easy to obtain
– Fast issuance

Things to keep in mind:

– Use only for web-based applications that are not at risk for phishing or fraud.
– Avoid using for websites that handle sensitive data.

Level 2: Organization Validation or OV Certificates

OV is the more secure step up from DV. As well as checking up on ownership of the domain name, the Certificate Authority will also carry out additional vetting of the organization and individual applying for the certificate. This might include checking the address where the company is registered and the name of a specific contact. This vetted company information is displayed to visitors on the certificate, making ownership of the site much more visible.

When to use OV Certificates:

Public-facing websites dealing with less sensitive transactional data.

Pros:
– More thorough vetting process than DV.
– Company information is displayed to users.
– Provides a certain level of trust about the company who owns the website.

Things to keep in mind:

OV Certificates do not offer the highest visible display of trust like EV SSL (green browser bar).

Level 3: Extended Validation or EV Certificates

This is the gold standard in SSL certificates. EV verification guidelines, drawn up by the Certificate Authority/ Browser Forum, require the Certificate Authority to run a much more rigorous identity check on the organization or individual applying for the certificate. Sites with an EV SSL certificate have a green browser address bar and a field appears with the name of the legitimate website owner and the name of the Certificate Authority that issued the certificate.

Last edited: