Hostname Cannot be "White labeled" and important ensuring doing this?

Harv45

Hi, I am just wondering if that is true that there is nothing I can do about white labeling a hostname?

Because I have a hostname from a provider who have for example "nodename.providername.com".

Then I wish to also hear inputs as well on the important of white labeling. Is it a "must" to white label as much as possible? Or a few "branding" is acceptable and most likely not have too much negative impact on customers "ditching" me?

Most don't understand whats going for it to matter. what some hosts do, (which im actually wanting to do on our next cpanel server.) Is they have a domain they use a domain that is easy to remember, but has nothing to do with the provider's name. So it would be nodename.mywebhosting.com (just example) or something else easy to remember or is generic.

Most don't understand whats going for it to matter. what some hosts do, (which im actually wanting to do on our next cpanel server.) Is they have a domain they use a domain that is easy to remember, but has nothing to do with the provider's name. So it would be nodename.mywebhosting.com (just example) or something else easy to remember or is generic.

Thanks you for the input and information. However changing to such is not possible with just reseller's WHM access correct? Because the provider said it was impossible to change it.

you can only whitelabel a hostname if you have a VPS or dedicated server.

this is what I have done. I registered a domain and placed a wildcard SSL on the domain and use this domain for all server hostnames.

May i ask what is the real point to white labeling the hostname? For most basic users that will work but anyone with a bit of tech level they can track down to the datacenter or the network owner so there isnt a way to completely hide the provider, unless you own the datacenter and the netblock. Nowadays people really dont care if you are a reseller or you own the DC, simply keep up the good service, support, addons and they have no reason to look your backstage if they are satisfied with the service. my 2 cents.

Nowadays people really dont care if you are a reseller or you own the DC,
this is not true, people still care if you are a reseller.

Some people will not host with you if you are a reseller as you have no control over the server if issue occur.

Most savvy people will have their own VPS and would not have reseller accounts, so if you have a reseller some do not want clients to know they are reselling your services, so using a whitelabel hostname help them out as not general users will not dig deep to find the real server provider.

It also helps if you have several servers as you can run all the hostnames off the same domain without you main sites account being full of subdomains

Thanks you for the input and information. However changing to such is not possible with just reseller's WHM access correct? Because the provider said it was impossible to change it.

Resellers get very little control and thus you will not be able to while label BUT if you have a VPS or a dedicated server you will have more control and be able to achieve that white label

this is not true, people still care if you are a reseller.

Some people will not host with you if you are a reseller as you have no control over the server if issue occur.

I consider myself savvy, but I don't care if I am serviced by a reseller. I want the person who cares about my server as much as I do to be the one running it. Even if I were to purchase the server from the source, someone still has to reach out to them and fix it if something were to happen. So I'd rather the reseller do that for me if I am confident in their abilities and I trust their commitment. Web hosting is about people to me, not hardware.

I consider myself savvy, but I don't care if I am serviced by a reseller. I want the person who cares about my server as much as I do to be the one running it. Even if I were to purchase the server from the source, someone still has to reach out to them and fix it if something were to happen. So I'd rather the reseller do that for me if I am confident in their abilities and I trust their commitment. Web hosting is about people to me, not hardware.

I agree and 100% that is why some resellers actually get better reviews from the mother firm because they offer better support

yes, but i have has clients ask me if i have my own servers as they don't want to be hosted by a reseller.

Also if you are a reseller and their is a server issue, your client contacts you as their site is down ( if they can as your account will be on the same account as theirs, so if their site is down then so will yours), but if they can contact you, then you then have to try and contact your host to fix the issue as you have no server control.

If you want to be taken as a serious host then you really need at least a VPS ( which you can now get as cheap as a reseller account). This way you have more control. for a little extra get a managed server then if you get an issue that you still cant figure out and fix you have the ability to reach out to your server provider/DC for extra assistance.

Reseller accounts that you can get started on are easily found in the $10-$20, while VMs even a basic Cpanel+Softalious "hook up" will runs you AT LEAST double if not more.

Depends if managed or unmanaged.

i currently have my own site and WHMCS on an unmanaged VPS as below for only $25 a month

OS Centos 6
Space 50GB
Port speed/Bandwidth 100Mbs With 1000 GB of Bandwith
Control Panel cPanel/WHM
IP Address's 2 IP's
WHMCS

if you are prepared to look and research you can find them

Depends if managed or unmanaged.

i currently have my own site and WHMCS on an unmanaged VPS as below for only $25 a month

OS Centos 6
Space 50GB
Port speed/Bandwidth 100Mbs With 1000 GB of Bandwith
Control Panel cPanel/WHM
IP Address's 2 IP's
WHMCS

if you are prepared to look and research you can find them

I actually think you can find better and cheaper VPS than this

unmanaged with cPanel and whmcs isnt common is it?

well the actual VPS is not much as the charge $5 for cPanel and $10 for WHMCS.

harder to find a host offering WHMCS now.

I know direct i was paying just under $20 for WHMCS for branded as i was charged VAT

Yes, but giving you more control over what you add to the server

That is true indeed, but just making it aware that a VM ownership is beyond the VM itself and is the "kick factor" in why it costs vastly more than a quality reseller hosting plan.

A better way to apporcah such is to start reselling then upgrade to a VM/dedi when it going to break even/start saving you money.