Hosting customers perspective

diggdigital

Hi All,

As a customer, how does one choose a hosting service provider. What are the qualities a client look and analyse to order from the service provider?

Exploring the customers perspective!

Regards

Your reputation online and with your current customers will count a lot. If a client was hunting for provider, they may ask google or someone they know is currently using hosting services. If your name comes up Google or that referrer had better give a good review for the potential client to choose you. Of course to have that good review you must provide a high quality service that normally includes
Good support, great uptime, honesty, good speeds, and a whole lot more

The typical customer is confused and is technically unaware of the differences between one hosting plan and another -- and that is within one host, not mentioning additional confusion when viewing the differences between hosts.

They are unaware of their site's technical requirements as far as size, bw, etc now and in the future. They might be shocked to learn that they can host a 500-1000 page site on 1 GB of web space and start scratching their heads wondering how in the hec did they get talked into buying a 5 GB plan. Must be the pretty pictures :)

Please correct me if i am wrong.

The whole process is slow and goes hand in hand. We as always have to stay strong and motivated to gain the stability of the continues processes.

Regards
Anand

Your reputation online and with your current customers will count a lot. If a client was hunting for provider, they may ask google or someone they know is currently using hosting services. If your name comes up Google or that referrer had better give a good review for the potential client to choose you. Of course to have that good review you must provide a high quality service that normally includes
Good support, great uptime, honesty, good speeds, and a whole lot more

This is a good one ;) Could i say clients perspective is never ending and cannot be defined with a benchmark?

Regards
Anand

The typical customer is confused and is technically unaware of the differences between one hosting plan and another -- and that is within one host, not mentioning additional confusion when viewing the differences between hosts.

They are unaware of their site's technical requirements as far as size, bw, etc now and in the future. They might be shocked to learn that they can host a 500-1000 page site on 1 GB of web space and start scratching their heads wondering how in the hec did they get talked into buying a 5 GB plan. Must be the pretty pictures :)

Please correct me if i am wrong.

The whole process is slow and goes hand in hand. We as always have to stay strong and motivated to gain the stability of the continues processes.

Regards
Anand

Albeit vigorously promoting your brand just ensure that every single client you get however small enjoys working with you. Yes some will go despite giving them good service BUT they will say good things and gradually you will grow the numbers.

This is a good one ;) Could i say clients perspective is never ending and cannot be defined with a benchmark?

In regards to customer perspective, I believe I have a unique perspective. As an IT professional for the last 20 years I probably have more face-to-face relationships with customers than maybe all the hosts here combined. Tickets and chats (and projecting your own imagination on customer) can't replace real conversations when you want to know what the customer is really thinking or determining their exact needs.

I believe I have a unique perspective. As an IT professional for the last 20 years I probably have more face-to-face relationships with customers than maybe all the hosts here combined.

So it is now unique for a host to have face to face contact with their clients and you are the only host to do this, you may be surprised that other hosts will also do this, so it is not unique.

I would love to have face to face contact with clients, but as i am in the UK and have clients in the USA, all over Europe, Australia etc., then it will be an impossible task.

I never said that. Of all the reading lessons I have provided, none seem to have sunk in.

In regards to customer perspective, I believe I have a unique perspective. As an IT professional for the last 20 years I probably have more face-to-face relationships with customers than maybe all the hosts here combined.

i suggest you read what you wrote. it cant be Unique unless you are the only one doing it and like most threads where you have been asked to provide some proof you never do.

i suggest you read what you wrote. it cant be Unique unless you are the only one doing it and like most threads where you have been asked to provide some proof you never do.

First, I stated "probably." There are other types of IT customers than web hosting customers. That's the point. I even talk to them in groups. snipped If you don't think I have a good idea what the average Joe thinks when it comes to computer/network technology then don't listen to me.
(dear readers, watch for misquotes)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are other types of IT customers than web hosting customers. That's the point. I even talk to them in groups. If you don't think I have a good idea what the average Joe thinks when it comes to computer/network technology then don't listen to me.

but you stated you have a unique prospective in that you have face-to-face relationships with your customer, but its not unique as other will also do this and not as you stated

I probably have more face-to-face relationships with customers than maybe all the hosts here combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is now unique for a host to have face to face contact with their clients and you are the only host to do this.

This brother is just full of himself. His conclusion says it all

... probably have more face-to-face relationships with customers than maybe all the hosts here combined..

Like EasyHostMedia said up, while everyone would love to interface face to face with their client you will only do that at a micro level once you cross boarders and start selling in other countries taking a plane to meet your clients will be harder.

The point to me is not meeting face to face BUT offering meaningful, timely and quality support to your clients. Clients might love sharing a cup of coffee with you but they care more that you resolve their issues on time.

i used to have face to face with local clients on a regular basis, but you are talking on average 2 hrs, so that's 2 hrs you are not available to help other clients.
No support is through livechat or ticket system. Yes if a local client has issues and they are unable to follow my instructions then i will go do a face to face support session with them, but i will charge them for my time

Most of my face-to-face (and revenue) is for non-hosting IT issues (I never said otherwise). I am currently assisting a company's local office migrate their network to another company that bought them out. They have 23,000 employees (but only 35 of them are in my town)

My point is, you are wrong to assume "my customers" are like yours or of the same number -- "maybe" and "probably" (my words, read my original post). These user's perspective of server and network resources are very similar or the same as ours/yours hosting customers. I value that perspective. No one is forcing any of you to. Get over it.

Last edited:
When I first started I just wanted the lowest price possible. It was within months I switched and found a fast host with good support.