'Features' that should always be standard

easyhostmedia

Then why should all sites, regardless of how small or personal they are not be provided the opportunity to do that without extra hassle or cost, when as I've already stated it costs the host absolutely nothing.
Even paid SSL should cost the host nothing as they should charge their clients for these. Regardless of what you say is a hassle in installing paid SSL. if you think installing addons is a hassle then you are in the wrong business

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely and completely agree that SSL certificates should be an essential new standard feature. Every company should automatically assign a free SSL to any domain they sign as a client. Clients, however, should be informed on the differences and be given an option to upgrade to a paid certificate if they so desire.

One of my companies, a publishing platform for content creators automatically adds a free SSL to every single account/blog that is created, even in spite of that the service is free.

S4 Hosting

Regardless of what you say is a hassle in installing paid SSL. if you think installing addons is a hassle then you are in the wrong business

I've just read back through all of my posts in this discussion to check, and just as I thought, at no point have I said or implied that I think of installing paid SSL or any other kind of addon as a hassle.

As for 'being in the wrong business'... Wow, that's quite an attack on anyone who has a different opinion from you, why are you being so aggressive?

There are millions of small sites on the internet who do not need and do not want to pay for any higher level of certificate and for which a free certificate from an authority like LE is completely adequate.

You clearly disagree with that and that is fine, but I still absolutely believe in my original point which was exactly what Artashes and several others have agreed with.

Every company should automatically assign a free SSL to any domain they sign as a client.

Yes, there are sites that should use a higher level of certification, and they should be offered the information and opportunity to do so, but there is absolutely no reason not to offer a free cert as a default on all hosted domains.

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
There are millions of small sites on the internet who do not need and do not want to pay for any higher level of certificate and for which a free certificate from an authority like LE is completely adequate.
Hundo P. If a website isn't doing anything that's mission-critical, there is absolutely zero need for a paid SSL.

easyhostmedia

I've just read back through all of my posts in this discussion to check, and just as I thought, at no point have I said or implied that I think of installing paid SSL or any other kind of addon as a hassle.
read https://hostingdiscussion.com/threads/features-that-should-always-be-standard.77991/post-247827

Then why should all sites, regardless of how small or personal they are not be provided the opportunity to do that without extra hassle or cost, when as I've already stated it costs the host absolutely nothing.

Some web hosting companies provide packages that include unlimited bandwidth, free SSL, free themes, free scripts, and discount coupon codes, all of which are attractive to visitors.

easyhostmedia

Some web hosting companies provide packages that include unlimited bandwidth, free SSL, free themes, free scripts, and discount coupon codes, all of which are attractive to visitors.
Nearly every host offers Free SSL, scripts, and themes, so these are not a big attraction as they used to be, also a lot of people are now aware nothing is unlimited, so unlimited space and/or bandwidth does not attract customers as they used too.