Easiest way to backup to remote FTP

BlackStorm

Hey,
I want to backup the HT database daily to a remote FTP.
Its changing everyday, sometimes by a lot so me manually backing up isnt cutting it anymore.

I want to back it up to a remote server and put it on an FTP account.

What is the quickest and easiest (least resource intensive) way of doing this?

Would doing it through a cron job be the best way?

Could you all give me some options of what I can do, and how to do it would be helpful :)

Benefits of each option would be great, I will most likely be using that for a very long time to keep backing up the database manually.

look on forums.ev1servers.net there are several programs that do that. I wrote one a while ago but not sure where I placed the source. Will look for it.

It does a complete site backup and SQL backup to a remote FTP server.

Now, time to look for the archive.

Thanks a lot Robert, the main thing is just the database as everything is stored in the database really, most things that are updated on the site are PHP scripts which use MySQL so the info isnt changed in any files, apart from the SQL.

It wouldnt cause any problems if it backed up the files also though

John

John,

Sorry for the delay. Been working on a customer program but I will try to look for it this weekend. If not, I will write it. As I remember it was not very hard to write.

Robert

ok thanks a lot Robert, would love a script that can do it for me :)

Time to backup now anyway, forgot all about it until I read this :rolleyes:

You know John, im suprised no one has said this yet. Why dont you just use the backup script built into WHM ? You can configure it to backup to a remote ftp server. And it doesnt it automaticlly. and you can chose to do it daily,weeks,Monthly. at what time, and all that good junk.

I believe that John has WHM so he can do this. as he is either a reseller or its his server. not sure but i know he has WHM access.

Ok just going to be installing Robert's script today, had a lot to do all week with moving the site over.
I do have access to the root WHM so I will check about backing up one site that way, but its only the sql db i want to backup and not all files in the site, would use quite a lot of bandwidth to backup everything because theres so many files.

BTW, where is that option in WHM nick?
Cant see it listed anywhere here