Don't Steal Content - you'll look like an ass!

Incorrect. The Berne Convention of 1886 protects ALL writings and Artistic Works the moment it is written. The Berne Convention has also been used in Copyright Law cases from a technology stand point. Ever heard of a concept being scribbled on a piece of paper and then later turned into a product? The moment they put pen to paper, it's intellectually copyrighted.

The Berne Convention and the Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) was adopted at the Geneva Convention in 1952 and amended in Paris in 1971. The UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) took it one step further to cover more states and countries in the world, but since nearly every country or state is part of the World Trae Organization (WTO), they too also agree to the Berne Convention and the UCC.

I've been dealing with copyright infringement since 1994 in one form or another, and the moment you put your concept to paper (or in this case, the internet), it becomes your intellectual copyright.
this is all true but then you need to provide the proof that its your intellectual copyright as they could counter claim and say you copied them

Links still show for me too, back to your web site. I've seen plagerized web hosting company web sites, and hotlinks to images - but this i think is the first time someone left in the order buttons to the mother ship they stole from! If there is any karma, you should get a few signups from their site, just to spite them!

this is all true but then you need to provide the proof that its your intellectual copyright as they could counter claim and say you copied them
Yep - a quick look on archive.org, or a datestamp will show when the data was created.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100411072923/http://www.handsonwebhosting.com/hosting/ultralite/

While it doesn't display nice in the screen, the content is visable. That's a capture from April 11, 2010 - same wording - nothing changed. "mysinergy.us" isn't listed in the WayBackMachine at all.

While www.archive.org is a cheap and dirty way to show who had content first (and they haven't updated their databases in a long time), I'll wager my April 11 2010 capture against their December 2010 domain registration date any time!

Yep - a quick look on archive.org, or a datestamp will show when the data was created.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100411072923/http://www.handsonwebhosting.com/hosting/ultralite/

While it doesn't display nice in the screen, the content is visable. That's a capture from April 11, 2010 - same wording - nothing changed. "mysinergy.us" isn't listed in the WayBackMachine at all.

While www.archive.org is a cheap and dirty way to show who had content first (and they haven't updated their databases in a long time), I'll wager my April 11 2010 capture against their December 2010 domain registration date any time!

yes www.archive.org is a good tool, my comment was not aimed at you but a generalised statement to anyone in this kind of situation as anyone could shout intellectual copyright but this needs to be proved

In Conor's case, this rip is incredibly simple to prove and wouldn't need copyright notices. One screen shot of the thief's page with the order page linking back to Hands On seals the case.

In Conor's case, this rip is incredibly simple to prove and wouldn't need copyright notices. One screen shot of the thief's page with the order page linking back to Hands On seals the case.

yes its an open and shut case in this instance, but all are not this simple as some ripper do have brians which conors ripper seem to lack

Yep - Agreed. There are many cases where I've had to go back and get timestamps of files created in order to prove overship. This one is an open and shut case, and many places will remove your content once they're contacted, but for whatever reason these guys haven't responded to requests.

We'll wait to see what Google and Softlayer do about the situation (the servers are in the Softlayer IP Range).

Yep - Agreed. There are many cases where I've had to go back and get timestamps of files created in order to prove overship. This one is an open and shut case, and many places will remove your content once they're contacted, but for whatever reason these guys haven't responded to requests.

We'll wait to see what Google and Softlayer do about the situation (the servers are in the Softlayer IP Range).

did you expect them to reply and own up. Also Softlayer are one of the worst for following a DMCA notice.

i also informed shamelesshost.com of this rip as they deserve a prime spot on their hall of shame

Last edited:
Yep, reported to shamelesshost also, but it looks like that site has been dormant for a while - we'll see.

trouble with shameless host is if you miss a WHMCS payment you will becime unauthorised via WHMCS system and if you end up on shameless and even after correcting your payment issue with WHMCS your site sill not be removed from shameless.

So their concept is good, but their procedures are wrong

Typically Softlayer won't deal with it. All they will do is forward the complaint to the person who's name is on the account for that server, be it the actual company who ripped the design, a third party hosting company, or if it's a direct customer of Softlayer.

I think Softlayer will only get involved if there is repeated complaints about it.

Yep, reported to shamelesshost also, but it looks like that site has been dormant for a while - we'll see.

yes seems they have gone to ground, just got a bounced email reply

From: "Mail Delivery Service" <postmaster@april.london.02.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:11 PM
To: < ********** >
Subject: Delivery Status Notification

> - These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
> Staff@ShamelessHosts.com; Failed; 4.4.7 (delivery time expired)
>
>
>

It is only a matter of time till this thread will be ranked highly for when someone searches for their business name. It is on Page 2 on Google already.

I have also found out that their website was hacked a while back. There is a screenshot of that available if you search for it.

well that will be nice for them, ranking #1 on Google for the wrong reasons, so letting others know what sort of business they run.

Keith had that site rockn' for a few months last year, but I'm only seeing one addition since then (last Feb) - unless I'm missing something (where did I put my glasses?) Oh wait, I don't wear glasses. :)

yes his site seems dead now, nothing new for such a long time and his emails just bounce back.

maybe someones reported him for not removing their site if hes got it wrong and hes serving time or had his internet service revoked as he seems not to care if he got it wrong or you just missed a WHMCS payment and then corrected this he refused to remove your site from his site, stating he had the rights of free expression under the law

Last edited:
Hi,

As a former SEO I`ve been dealing with stolen content issue for years. For some reason (that is beyond my mortal understanding) people think that by copying your texts they can somehow gain your SERP rankings...:uhh:

In fact by stealing content they just damage themselves; as by creating stolen "duplicated" content they just set themselves up for Google penalization. (while gaining absolutely nothing in the process)

These thieves are also easily discover-able by using CopyScape - a free online tool that can tell you just who copied your texts and to what extend.

But human content thieves are not the real problem...

Today the web is plagued with multitude of scraper bots and they will take your content, put it through some scrambler software and, after changing it, use it as their own on blogs spread all over the web. (free OS blog platforms on free co.cc domains are a popular choice for that)

The issue here is that such content will not always be flagged as a duplicate one and so it can hurt the original publisher by stealing some of his SERP presence. (usually long-tail KW but not always)

These attacks occur at a VERY high frequency (it`s all automated) and, if an attacker uses a good scrambler, they are extremely hard to detect. Indeed, most of the time you don`t even know it happened.

To give you some idea about the scope of this problem...

Our company (Incapsula) I work for recently revealed that a staggering 51% of all traffic is generated by bots. (31% are harmful, 5% are scrapers)
For smaller sites (2500 visitors/month) the numbers go up to 80%.