Difference From .co to .com

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilykme

Are they the same or different? I'm sorry if this is a very newbie question as I never had a website of my own before. I'm just finishing my own website about helping students on solving math assignments.

.co is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Colombia. This is not the same as .com

Thank you for the clarification. I found websites with .co before the county's 2 letter code. As I am not from the US, most of the domain names in the country where I reside has an ending of .co. Anyway, I think its the same as .com but maybe its used for local websites.

Thank you for the clarification. I found websites with .co before the county's 2 letter code. As I am not from the US, most of the domain names in the country where I reside has an ending of .co. Anyway, I think its the same as .com but maybe its used for local websites.

For local website you may consider the country specific tld such as .co.uk, .in, .cn etc depending on the region or country you're supposed to focus on.

So what you are saying is that my domain name depends on the location of the traffic that I intend to, right? So if this is the case, that means I could make a .co.uk if I intend to get traffic from the UK even if I'm in India, right?

What I understand before is that when I register my domain name, the extensions will depend on my current location.

I've had friends register both so that the traffic is all redirected to the site that they want people to visit. It truly depends on what you are thinking of for the site. Do you want an international site? Or a more localized site?

There are 2 possibilities here -
.co.in or .co.uk are for India and UK respectively, which you should not be confused about, and just .co is a TLD for columbia domain name.

You are talking something about your website for your students, which is surely a local traffic based site. So why not go for TLD that ends with your country code after the .co extension? .com is always good globally, but if you are targeting local traffic, this is the best way.

country specific domain names can help in branding and recognition in your targeted country. Hosting your site on an IP in the targeted country will help you with SEO in that country.

I am considering the extension .co.in but I would like to have more answers from different countries. My real target is the international window but I'm thinking it would be hard to get traffic because of many websites that are the same as mine.

My goal is to let my students learn on how to solve the same math problem with different solutions from other countries.

Hello Friends...

dot com(.com) refers to a commercial website. dot co (.co) would be sites at specific countries. Say co.in (India) co.uk(United Kingdom) co.nz(New zealand).

Thanks

I am considering the extension .co.in but I would like to have more answers from different countries. My real target is the international window but I'm thinking it would be hard to get traffic because of many websites that are the same as mine.

My goal is to let my students learn on how to solve the same math problem with different solutions from other countries.

Well, if you are targeting visitors from all around the world, I would suggest you to consider .com domain as it is the most popular domain all the world and it is easy to remember a .com domain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.