Control Panels

CLCook

Have we already had the control panel discussion?

I'm curious about many people's objection to Plesk. Most people use cPanel....which indeed is a good cp.

Now that Plesk has upgraded EVERYTHING....why would you prefer to use something else?

A lot has to do, I would imagine, on what the end user wants. Though the experience might be better for the admin with a different control panel. Cpanel is what is in demand.

Plesk is good for end users. I would say cpanel is better for admins because it has more tools and tweaks available from within whm. Plesk has come a long long long way. There are only 2 major disadvantages to plesk that I can think of:

- High license prices. $99 for a language file! $199 for the equivilent of fantastico

- API can only be used by server administrators. This means resellers can use autocreation programs.

We had tried to switch from Helm to Plesk on our Windows server, but 9/10 customers didnt happy. It's harder to use for end-users. Now, we are using cPanel and DirectAdmin on Linux and Helm on Windows. Have heard good things about H-Sphere as well, but we havent tried

Haven't had any complains about plesk. I find it straight forward. H-sphere runs very slow. Although the new theme is a lot more user friendly than the ugly old brown one

We've used both for different things, but I'd take Plesk any day.

I think people like cPanel because all the features are listed all at once, so it looks like you have a lot more. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure end users do eat it up. To me though, it just seems disorganized; and from our experiences, the cPanel servers were much, much less stable (they're being replaced with Interworx at this very moment).

CLCook said:
Have we already had the control panel discussion?

I'm curious about many people's objection to Plesk. Most people use cPanel....which indeed is a good cp.

Now that Plesk has upgraded EVERYTHING....why would you prefer to use something else?
We have had the control panel discussion. It is one of the largest threads on this site. :p

I've only used ensim and cpanel. Out of those two cpanel wins my vote by a mile.

I like the all-in-one multi platform idea behind h-sphere and may even try it someday if time permits

Just working with someone the last couple of days to see if I could offer assistance...and they do not like Pleask, I'll be honest, I wasn't to sure of it either. I am a cPanel fan.

So, anyone ever use H-Sphere? Now there was a system that had way more than my little biz ever needed!

Took for ever to set stuff up too!

Most clients like cpanel, but I do have some users who say helm is far easier to use (mostly from reseller veiws). Personally I like Cpanel - but it really does depend on what you are used to.

DA is quite nice - but not enough toys, plesk I really dont like. There are quite a few new CP coming out including free one called cube panel - looked quite nice from the demo but never used it.

wise said:
There are quite a few new CP coming out including free one called cube panel - looked quite nice from the demo but never used it.

It does look good on the demo, but isn?t free, there are free and paying versions as you can see on the website.

People choose cPanel because it has a big range of features and it has everything someone needs on a webhosting business. It's easy to use, has a nice interface and it's pretty fast. It has a few bugs here and there but they are squashed sooner or later.