CMS specially designed for web hosters

olhosting

Recently I realized that there is no special CMS designed for webhosters and domain sellers.
I mean sure there are free open source CMS like Jomla and Mambo but they do not have features which would make life of an webhoster match easier. My own company had to develop our own CMS solution because there were none on the market with features we needed. We had website in 3 different languages and none of the CMS had easy language management.

How about CMS which will make life easier with features like whois with suggestions by the dictionary (as far as I know only big companies like Enom has something like that, correct me if I'm wrong). Or Modernbill and Autopilot integration with automatic webhosting plans on website. And many more features which could save time for an busy webhoster.

I think a lot of people think like me and would welcome solution designed specially for webhosters needs.

I know there at least one company who develop something similar so I do consider to buy it.

What do you think about it?

Could probably be a good idea.
It would need to be easily skinnable and it would have to have easy integration of the main billing software etc.

Are you referring to CMS as in Content Management or Customer Management. In recent years the definition has been somewhat blurred.

I agree with the above comments.
I also like the idea of having a Content Management System specific for the web hosting industry. The challenge however, is big. It must vary enough for hosting companies to opt for using such CMS.
I can see it being integrated with billing, technical, domain plugins at the least.

I think this is more a thing you will see from Control Panels in the near future

Imagine if you had the ability (as some already do with custom programming) to have a site automatically generate with your plans info and pricing (form a template collection of course) .. how great it would it be for resellers.

but a CMS for the "industry" .. thats a bit more unlikely, diversity is just too great.

but a CMS for the "industry" .. thats a bit more unlikely, diversity is just too great
I would have to agree there. The best you could hope for is a CMS with the ability to add hosting related features as a plugin or addon easily.

Artashes said:
I agree with the above comments.
I also like the idea of having a Content Management System specific for the web hosting industry. The challenge however, is big. It must vary enough for hosting companies to opt for using such CMS.
I can see it being integrated with billing, technical, domain plugins at the least.

I personally think that it should not be a problem. If CMS is SMARTY based (powerfull template system) then people can do whatever they want with it. Plus of course all other scripts integration.

NullMind said:
but a CMS for the "industry" .. thats a bit more unlikely, diversity is just too great.

Sure there are many different scripts and software that hosters use. But mainly there are two billing options for people to use - Moderbill and WHMCompleteSolution (new name) . Of course there are some smaller script which I will not mention here. And customer support scripts like kayako.

There is not that many scripts which webhoster use. So I think it is possible to integrate many of them to CMS for webhosting industry.

You forgot WHMAP, ClientExec, AWBS, Avid, Helm, Plesk, cPanel, PerlDesk, Ubersmith, WhoisCart, Windows Server, and the list goes on and on. These are all very popular hosting related softwares that would have to be taken into account when designing a CMS.

Hmmm, I was talking about billing solutions for webhosters and not software like cpanel and plesk which is webhosting panel with out billing features.

One problem you'll quickly run into, which is already happening on the WHOIS / blling / support / account management scene, is that you'd probaly have to pay for something like this.

Sure, It'll be nice to have it. But it will remain a nice to have if the price is too mich. If I already pay xyz for my billing + support + monitoring + blah blah blah script, why pay more just to have a website?

At this stage, Joomla with some mods does the job good enough :)

you're chasing a ghost! As of now, it doesn't exist.

Here is your best choice:

1. Use Modernbill 5 for billing
2. Use Kayako for support
3. and manually code your sales pages (you can even purchase a template) or use Joomla CMS etc for that

EDIT:
Sorry, forgot to mention, what you're really looking for is a Joomla "WebHosting" template.. right? The thing is that 80 of small hosts will have this template, so that'll be a total shot in the foot