Centos vs Mint

vegas

Account Disabled
Hello which one is better mint or centos?

If you can recommend any of this installations :

Cinnamon 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Cinnamon desktop Yes

Cinnamon No codecs 32-bit 64-bit A version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses*. No

Cinnamon OEM 64-bit An intallation image for manufacturers to pre-install Linux Mint. No
MATE 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the MATE desktop Yes

MATE No codecs 32-bit 64-bit A version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses*. No

MATE OEM 64-bit An intallation image for manufacturers to pre-install Linux Mint. No

KDE 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the KDE desktop Yes

Xfce 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Xfce desktop Yes

Last edited:
What does the No/Yes refer to at the end of each line?

Depends on the user, and what the PC will be used for?
My guess is you're talking about a Desktop PC, not a server, correct?

A technical user, who uses a lot of CLI, I would say centos/KDE. It's a highly customizable setup.

Mint and Cinnamon are better suit as a Windows alternative.

Based on my experience trying each of these combinations.

Why do you prefer Cinnamon? You want linux to be the same as Windows? Well it's not, deal with it. Cinnamon will slowdown your computer, however if you go with mint + gui:Cinnamon then most likely you will have something which looks like Windows.

Well I might have to say that I want to use it as a server and as a personal computer,it is like no limit at all and the best of both worlds at the same time with 32 bit and 64 bit applications running smooth on same environment.

Also for the ones that recommend mint please specify installation

We have an all linux hosting environment and support environment, with the exception of some SolusVM KVM windows workstations for testing browser compatibility.

We prefer to do things in a similar manner on our workstations as we would on our servers, and for this reason, we prefer CentOS as it's CloudLinux compatible.

The more familiar our staff are with the server operating systems the better, even those who deal with the billing.

I guess in few days Im gonna install this
and after testing it ,will tell you how I feel about mint.

How the hek not if is 32 and 64 bit,Im wondering is lovely but
in some days I will tell you about mint,oh nice to hear all fancy more centos as I do now,dont know after truly testing mint what to think,please bear with me....

I always use Debian testing with GNOME 3 Shell on desktop systems. If you want to go with Mint, I would suggest you use their Debian edition LMDE with Cinnamon.

How I know this is Debian edition:
so sinnamon is Debian edition?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zentekinfosoft