CentOS Project versus CentOS Stream

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
I think most web hosting providers are aware by now that CentOS Project is being dropped in favor of CentOS Stream. I've heard many providers talk about migrating to either CloudLinux or Ubuntu. Your thoughts?

We are still open to other options, but our current plan is to migrate our CentOS servers to AlmaLInux.

I've installed the beta and migrated a couple of CentOS test servers over to it with absolutely no issues at all so far.

Also keeping a close eye on Rocky Linux and we'll make a decision sometime in the next month or two.

OpenSUSE Leap us another interesting possibility.

SUSE is repositioning it to be binary identical to their Enterprise Linux offering.

+1 for Alma.
Igor and his team have done absolutely amazing on CL, and I love that he's giving back to the community like this

Ran the Alma migration script on a couple vultr systems, no problems at all. Will try a few other hosts I have access to shortly.

As I understand it, DA has added Alma to the acceptable list, which is also a good thing

+1 for Alma
The CloudLinux guys have shown that they can be trusted.
The control panel vendors will support this, so the VPS and Dedicated suppliers will soon have to supply it.
It's a no-brainer!

Alma is gaining pace rapidly, it's an install option when you spin up a new server with cloud providers like UpCloud already.

Curious about how Rocky will pan out as well though, their first beta release should be at the end of this month.

Have tested out a few different options in the last few months and if you just want a RHEL based distro that is a direct replacement for CentOS without the uncertainty of Stream then AlmaLinux is great. It does what it should, quickly and easily and without any trouble migrating.

We've ultimately decided to move in a completely different direction though and to migrate things to Debian based servers (mostly plus an OpenSISE Leap option on VPS).

I wrote a blog post about why if anyone is interested: Why Debian is our post CentOS distro choice

We've ultimately decided to move in a completely different direction though and to migrate things to Debian based servers (mostly plus an OpenSISE Leap option on VPS).
Is CyberPanel compatible with Debian? Or you migrated to different CP?

Is CyberPanel compatible with Debian? Or you migrated to different CP?

It isn't officially, but you can get it to work if you hack the installer about a bit. Though it's probably not advisable in any kind of production environment because any update is going to cause big issues.

Migrating to Debian is one part of a whole bigger infrastructure change, and that includes a migration to a different CP. Part of the reason for that particular change is separation and efficiency, we don't want to have a control panel installed separately on each web server, but to run the CP on an instance of it's own and have it manage sites on other servers.

CyberPanel has a lot going for it, but that is something it just can't do out of the box, and we've struggled to find something that does in the way we wanted it to. Ultimately we've decided to build our own custom solution that does what we need, based on an existing open source project (ISPConfig) but with some changed components.

Part of the reason for that particular change is separation and efficiency, we don't want to have a control panel installed separately on each web server, but to run the CP on an instance of it's own and have it manage sites on other servers.
ISPConfig, knowing its popularity, should do well in this scenario. Of course, there are also other products. And good bye LiteSpeed :)

I was thinking about moving to Debian too (used it years go), but I like CentOS so much, that I will it keep as long as possible: CentOS 7 until EOL, CentOS 8 - still considering options (including RHEL subscription).

ISPConfig, knowing its popularity, should do well in this scenario. Of course, there are also other products. And good bye LiteSpeed :)

Actually...
We've found that if we amend all of the paths to config files (because ISPConfig puts things in very strange places) and with a bit of playing around we can get LSWS to run with it. That's one of the biggest changes that we have made in our own version of the control panel. It would never work with OLS but it can be done with LSWS.

We do have another potential long term change away from LSWS that we are experimenting with, but that's pretty far from ready for client sites at the moment.

I was thinking about moving to Debian too (used it years go), but I like CentOS so much, that I will it keep as long as possible: CentOS 7 until EOL, CentOS 8 - still considering options (including RHEL subscription).

The servers that we haven't migrated yet, we have moved from CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux, and have absolutely no problems with it, I'd highly recommend going that way if you want to stay with a RHEL clone.

We've found that if we amend all of the paths to config files (because ISPConfig puts things in very strange places) and with a bit of playing around we can get LSWS to run with it.
Nice.
The servers that we haven't migrated yet, we have moved from CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux
I don't like the name, to say the least. But if it will ever become the only available Linux distro on earth, sure I'll be considering it.