Blesta is replacing WHMCS?

I think this is the main reason why most companies are moving to Blesta.

Except, they're not. I've yet to hear of a single major supplier moving, or considering moving from WHMCS to Blesta, yet alone 'most'.

No matter what individuals want to tell you, 'mostly open' is not a good thing. It's a nightmare. Try upgrading a 'mostly open' system that's been modified. It just can't be done. Not without massive downtime, hours of frustration and hair pulling. You think WHMCS updates are bad? This is going to be a nightmare!

WHMCS took the right approach adding in hooks here. While this is limiting the functionality and expandability of this software, it's better all around. I've yet to see a properly developed hook crash an update or upgrade. That's not to say that they don't, but for the most part they won't. And, if they do, hey, you can very easily disable them until they're updated.

Modifying source, calling that a solution is not really even close to the way things need to be done, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

Except, they're not. I've yet to hear of a single major supplier moving, or considering moving from WHMCS to Blesta, yet alone 'most'.

No matter what individuals want to tell you, 'mostly open' is not a good thing. It's a nightmare. Try upgrading a 'mostly open' system that's been modified. It just can't be done. Not without massive downtime, hours of frustration and hair pulling. You think WHMCS updates are bad? This is going to be a nightmare!

WHMCS took the right approach adding in hooks here. While this is limiting the functionality and expandability of this software, it's better all around. I've yet to see a properly developed hook crash an update or upgrade. That's not to say that they don't, but for the most part they won't. And, if they do, hey, you can very easily disable them until they're updated.

Modifying source, calling that a solution is not really even close to the way things need to be done, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

No one is moving fromWHMCS

Can't believe I haven't replied earlier to this. Blesta who? Not likely because WHMCS is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

#4: Did I mention they're not really actively developing Blesta? See http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/925-quantum-gateway-vault/ for a perfect example. Topic created September 2013. very, very valid gateway (Quantum vault) , yet where is it? They still haven't bothered to put it together.

https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/centos-web-panel-module - 1 year old
https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/configurable-package-addon-update - 3 years old

i wonder how many more old request i can find

hah, exactly .
While people said the same thing in 2005 about WHMCS and moldernbill, there was a huge difference at the time. WHMCS was the new guy on the block, and moldernbill was on it's way out the door anyways.

Thing is that Blesta's been around just as long as WHMCS has, and it's just nowhere near as 'out there'.

I have Blesta on 1 site and WHMCS on another.

i see Blesta has some features that WHMCS dont have and Visa Versa.

look at Fantastico this was No1 until Softaculous appeared and took over no1 spot, you still get some hosts stick with Fantastico.

software evolves and no actually close they just get took over by a competitor and rebranded.

another good alternative is WHMAutopilot. It looks good and has good features, but as its site states

The latest version available is v3.2.83 released 20th November 2012

which is the issue

yeah, WHMAP is pretty much dead in the water at this point.

It is a pity as it is a good system, but i think with WHMCS and Clientexec having the major market share a lot of the smaller software systems just gave up upgrading as they dont get the revenue to cover upgrading

Last edited:
hm, I don't know that CE has anywhere near what Blesta or even WHMCS has, but I could be wrong. I don't have those exact #'s ;)

To be honest with you, I feel that CE has sort of fell out of the market and I feel that WHMCS and Blesta are the front runners now. I support both Blesta and WHMCS, but I'll be honest, I DO have a lifetime license of CE that I purchased, many many years ago, but I haven't used it in forever.

WHMCS has more feature modules that so far blesta cannot even close to it. Basic billing is ok. but if look for integration with other software, blesta is not.

May be hstbill ? But again pricing

We are using Blesta and loving the easy setup and running. Intergration is quite easy with just one main file to edit. Whmcs may have a few extra features too.

We also use Blesta for billing. But it is true that it is not that developed and do not have that much plugins / integrations available like we have for whmcs. But Since we just need the same for billing purpose blesta is perfect for us and we use Kayako for All ticket based and chat based support.

But if the plugins developers decide to have all same plugins for blesta as well, then I am having no doubt that Blesta will be a real challenger for WHMCS.

I used blesta for a while it is a great piece of software. very reliable and the guys at licencecart help out loads with hints and tips.

We are using blesta from 2014 and before that WHMCS was billing platfor,tryed CE and Blesta and chose Blesta. Now expecting 4 to go out of Beta ,yes it doesn't offer some integrations that WHMCS has ....it is price.
But it is really stable and dev. frendly...i tryed everything out there and when I started with local business I wanted Hostbill or WHMCS,I starded with WHMCS and after few years migrate to Blesta.
Today we have only few options really worth to look...in first WHsouite looks promising while they in beta but they turn to OpenSource/free ....which isn't bad by itself but can't expect anything more than basic features

From my experience with Blesta, it's a good software for billing purpose but it's not ideal for our business model.

It's very inconvenient for us to sell dedicated servers with Blesta, for example, we need to provide some customized spec and special price for the server, Blesta cannot overwrite price, we have to use promo code to make it every time.

WHMCS is still the primary option here, works perfectly and it's been over 6 years we use it.