Best places to advertise?

In my opinion there is no best place to advertise ;). I've spent hundreds of dollars without seeing any improvement in sales at points, the best thing I found that works is word of mouth, if you have a few clients... ask them to spread the word, tell others, give you a feedback.

I agree that submit your site to search engine like google, yahoo, etc is the best way to advertise, besides list your plan on the hosting index is also another way.

if you are a web host company, first of all..

get your host on all web hosting directory, then if you have the money advertise a little. after you get some clients and your services are good, you should see clients coming..

I doubt any host will actually reveal any good advertising venues they have found. They probably don't want to share.

My advice is to look at some advertising in your local area. It will be much cheaper by comparison, and the business you get will be far better in quality.

Something a lot of people don't think about for offline advertising is that offline customers generally require a lot more support and help than an online customer.
Most will use the phone instead of the helpdesk and most will ask very simple questions about how to design their page etc. which may take a lot of your time.

Wel... when you advertise you need to take into account the lifetime value of a customer. How long will (on average) a customer stay with you? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? More?

Say 1 year. If your average profit per customer is (lets say) $10/month then a customer is worth $120/year. You could spend $60 to acquire a customer and still make $60 profit per year. This is why some affliate programs pay $80 per sale. because in the end they will make a profit. (Sure, some of them corners too. ;) )

Anyway, that kind of estimation is easier to make if you've been in business a while and you have a sufficient number of customers to draw some statistical conclusions. Otherwise it is a bit too risky.

I find the best places to advertise is on forums like this one. Adding your link to your signature and getting involved in conversations. I have placed a few ads in the local newspaper but found the it was a big waste of money unless you spend big buck for a large ad.

Just my 2 cents

Jaks :cool:

Well i mean i am moving on to my server in a couple of days and i can try advertising i got a friend in aussie which is australia who can advertise for me and some mates in us there are not many people in new zealand which is next to australia that sell good decent i used to have a reseller at the start of this year and i am so exicted i can get a server of my own since my friend is buying the server and hosting it all for me i could try all of the ways on how to advertise i mean and i have do have tech support team standing by so if i do get locals they can recieve instant support so for me local support isnt worried me. but i co-own e-marvels.net they the owner doesnt want any tech support he wants to provide it to by himself and i tried to convince him and he disagree but if u dont have tech support your company good get out of hands and spreed like wild fire so i agree before you advertise locally make sure u got tech support team ready if u dont got it i suggest u find a company that can provide u and ur company best of the best results it will cost u like $50 for the ppl whos doing mine tech support crew team but i am sure u can find other companies that provide the same thing as in excellent support so i might aswell try all of these posts

Dear God in heaven that's one long sentence. Devil - my first recommendation would be punctuation. :)

Word of mouth and local advertising has worked thus far.

Yeah, but be careful, because you will bring on a bad name for your company if you stuff around on forums and break the rules...
~Equinox

I believe the best way to advertise, is for you to directly contact businessess or clients personally. Especially in the beginning. I have never bought any hosting from banner ads or internet advertising. I have had several different hosting accounts all of them with the same company until I started my own and the way I found out about it was word of mouth. So when you start talking your company up, get others talking it up and soon you'll have people coming to you that you don't even know.

Hello,

This is one of these things where either it will work or not and the best way to advertise is to test different methods and take note of how many customers you get per type of advert and this will allow you to comiple a review of what works for you and what doesn't and then from there work an advertising budget.

I believe the best way to get your message across is word of mouth. For people to find your site, I think forums are pretty good choices. Another good way to advertise is to sponsor a website and ask for some kind of ad on their site.

Word of mouth is great, but in order to get word of mouth you have to have "mouths" that have been to your site in the first place.

You could have the BEST website in the WORLD with the BEST services/products/etc... available at the BEST price and offer TOP NOTCH support...but if you don't advertise in the first place how will anyone go to your site?

Word of mouth is great, but you need to catch the fish before you can share it.

I totally agree with you, but I failed to mention it. Some companies can't spend the "big buck" for great advertising locations. So, sometimes they must rely on small ads and getting their message across in a forum. Word of mouth advertising is the best kind of advertising, in my opinion. It is targeted to its market, very effective, and free.

If you host blogs, tape (duct of course) a banner to the side of your char, and drive around middle schools. If its a pay site its advised to be in a good neighborhood.
If i had a car I'd drive to Quakecon with a loudspeaker and announce my game hosting, or maybe drive down to CPL(hardcore cs/dod players galore) and do the same thing.

I used free banner exchange systems and they showed very good results for me. One of them is 125x125.com... I like targeted adv systems.