Best antivirus for centos

Your point maybe viable for Centos specifically, but it also requires a set of variables to work perfectly together to prevent infection. But your point that I responded to implied that all linux distros would not require AV or Malware scanning. Are you saying that you don't run any of these things on your own servers?

You got point, everything should work perfectly well to prevent infection.

The point of my posts was that CentOS user has to confirm execution of any file 3 times to proceed. If a user does not care reading what they are confirming - no malware scanner can help.

We provide ClamAV for our client's safety of thoughts, but true security is achieved with diligent work of our tech stuff (and precise work on restrictions). Frankly, ClamAV provides little to no security, it can only detect the simplest malware.

The only AV software CenOS user needs is brain. Nothing cannot replace it, unfortunately.

If you use CSF (which you can install standalone, GUI for either cPanel or Webmin) you can also add CXS. I believe it uses the same engine as ClamAV + more. That combined with maldet should be good.

Yes, CXS is very handy to perform active scanning of files which are uploaded on the server. But it’s only for Apache v2+, not supported for litespeed, nginx, etc… If you wish to know more about CXS then you can check my blog post here:

or visit:

I love the one-line answers from post-pumpers. Anyway, since this topic is bubbling to the top I'll chime in.

Do you want to run your antivirus on your server or do you have the ability to run something on the wire? I use Fortigate appliances - they're the best in the business - I argue better than ClamAV and here's why:

1) They offload workloads associated with antivirus. Depending on the size of a file and the number of files to be scanned, server-based threat mitigation can be expensive in terms of resources (CPU, ram, spindle time)

2) They offer a unified threat mitigation solution. In a server environment, you're typically not just running file upload and download services. You may have other services running on your server that are open to exploit. Fortigate allows you to inspect for spam, standard viruses, and other exploits like DDOS (far from perfect solution but viable for most) and brute force attacks.

3) They're fast. Much of the Fortigate logic is burned into ASICS - meaning that the processing is much quicker than trying to burn up your spindles and CPU pounding through files.

4) I can use the appliances for more than one server. The units I've chosen can handle serving up defense for a lot of servers. They can be configured to run in HA mode (but I've never had one fail).

Anyway, something to chew on. There's no replacing a good security scheme on the server itself but I have to say that the amount of garbage the Fortigates filter out for me is astonishing and lets me sleep a little easier at night.

on a CentOS server you need at least CSF (ConfigServer Security & Firewall) for a start.

then if you can affords the $50 one time fee then get CXS (ConfigServer eXploit Scanner)
then also install ClamAV

you could also invest in WHMXtra this allows you to install things like malware detect etc.

you could also install all free

ConfigServer Explorer
ConfigServer Mail Manage
ConfigServer Mail Queues
ConfigServer ModSecurity Control

these will allow you to contract emails and allow you easy access to files structures through WHM

dear easyhost media the real media linux dont need antivirus,if you use all that stuff you gonna get into massive trouble if you dont configure that well

Highly recommended Anti-virus Softwere for CentOS is ClamAV which is mostly used by Hosting Providers. Also can use Maldet for Malware protection.

CSF Firewall & Brute Force Protection in WHM is highly recommended for better protection.

CSF Firewall, Clam AV & Brute Force Protection

if you can afford $50 as a one time payment then also get ConfigServer eXploit Scanner

then also get WHMXtra and then from this you can install RK Hunter, Linux Malware Detect

Using ClamAV, maldet and CXS and we are very happy with them. Also we have installed AVG for Linux and every once in a while we also run a full system scan with it.

Hi,

Its pretty hard to say which one is the best scanner, all of them have their own database and virus definitions, almost in some scenarios, one antivirus does not detect infected files, which the other has detected. However, we have been using Maldet and ClamScan for years now and seems to be going good (OpenSource), not yet gone for any paid antivirus solutions.

Tackling infection when it comes to webhosting is a bit tedious. You never know what request is coming over the web. Again, I have found CXS to be the best active scanner to check the uploaded files to the server to see the infection and blocking it effectively.