Best antivirus for centos

vegas

Account Disabled
Hello Im running a centos server and with so many repositories I install everyday I really wonder if there is a good FREE antivirus for centos x actually 6.4 ,that can allow me to download updates and keepin neat

please do let me know if you know one

Antivirus for CentOS – use ClamAV antivirus scanner and if possible use CSF firewall with brute force protection. You can also consider Maldet for malware protection.

Hy,

We use clamav with maldet. Both does a good job but i advise that any of them solve 100% malware or virus issues, unfortunately ;)

Maldat and CSF just make sure you set the setting that they dont interfere. CSF is pretty good for the cpanel point of view.

If you use CSF (which you can install standalone, GUI for either cPanel or Webmin) you can also add CXS. I believe it uses the same engine as ClamAV + more. That combined with maldet should be good.

I dont use fancy panels pure ssh,maybe should ve made a poll since there is tons of stuff,clamav seems to be the one I used before when I used panels now Im naked tough,I hadnt used AVG for servers just for laptop ,does it work on servers?

many thanks guys

Hey people, these tools are great, but the point is:

Unix-based systems' architecture differs a lot from Windows in terms of virus functioning. To be able to infect a system the virus should be run under root access. Do not give your customers full root access and you will never face virus infection. That simple.

ClamAV is just a scanner for email malware, which works in user-space environment. Not a single malware can infect your system, as it has no root access.

I'm more interested to read your opinion about any software apps that deal with incoming and outgoing spam (not SpamAssassin).

@HostZealot - What about malicious coding that is uploaded and executed, resulting in privilege elevation to root?

Honestly, CentOS is the least virus-infectable OS available today. You can use any antivirus software you like - or use none, there will be no virus infection.

"What about malicious coding that is uploaded and executed, resulting in privilege elevation to root?" - it wil lstill require at least 3 confirmations from a user to do that, due to OS architecture. If a user is so unaware of what they are doing that they give these 3 confirmations - not a single AV or malware scanner is able to help them.

Honestly, CentOS is the least virus-infectable OS available today. You can use any antivirus software you like - or use none, there will be no virus infection.

"What about malicious coding that is uploaded and executed, resulting in privilege elevation to root?" - it wil lstill require at least 3 confirmations from a user to do that, due to OS architecture. If a user is so unaware of what they are doing that they give these 3 confirmations - not a single AV or malware scanner is able to help them.

Your point maybe viable for Centos specifically, but it also requires a set of variables to work perfectly together to prevent infection. But your point that I responded to implied that all linux distros would not require AV or Malware scanning. Are you saying that you don't run any of these things on your own servers?

Thanks Hostzealot .honestly I always felt confident with linux servers in terms of security,and indeed thaught that meanwhile there is no users that can sudo root or people uploading whichever stuff,pics or documents,well particulary docs you will be safe.But nowadays if your scripts dont have good rule restrictions about uploads then they can upload something rare