YouTube Video of one of Google's Data Centers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol love the google provided transportation device... Interesting servers they have their... presumably they are custom made cases?

Wouldn't you achieve greater efficiency having one tightly controlled and monitored environment vs. 30 or 40?
If you mean DC locations, perhaps, but by spreading out its servers all around the globe, Google greatly reduces, if not eliminates, the chance that a problem at any one (or two or three or ...) locations will bring the Google network down.

It's the old thing about not keeping all your eggs in one basket.

Fully agree on the standpoint of global redundancy but I was referring to the compartmentalized design of within that datacenter. I would venture to guess that it is more cost effective and more efficient to control one large raised floor area vs. 30-40 shipping containers. I would love to see the cost benefit analysis for that design... like that's ever going to happen.

So, that's the kind of Datacenter you can build when you have billions of dollars for your budget. :king: NICE!

Who wants to take on the champ? :box:

Back on track, guys.

Fully agree on the standpoint of global redundancy but I was referring to the compartmentalized design of within that datacenter. I would venture to guess that it is more cost effective and more efficient to control one large raised floor area vs. 30-40 shipping containers. I would love to see the cost benefit analysis for that design... like that's ever going to happen.
Your cost benefit analysis (vague, but you'll get the idea):

The huge power draws have spurred innovation in the form factor of the data center itself. For its Chicago center, Microsoft is outfitting half the building with shipping containers packed with servers. “Imagine a data center that’s about 30 megawatts, with standard industry average density numbers you can probably fit 25,000 to 30,000 servers in a facility like that,” says Microsoft’s Chrapaty. “You can do 10 times that in a container-based facility, because the containers offer power density numbers that are very hard to realize in a standard rack-mount environment.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/magazine/14search-t.html?pagewanted=5&hp

So, it's for saving on power costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8