Woman wins Lottery, still collects Food Stamps!

Look what you started Conor :)

I may not start many threads on here, but happy to get this kind of reaction to a thread ;)

I have another topic that sparked heated opinions on Facebook - maybe I'll drop that one on here and see what happens with this community :)

You know me - always poking the bear! :devil:

What for does she need so much money... She'd better did smth to get more (started a business, etc) in order to increase that money!

Twitter is abuzz regarding Amanda Clayton and her continued use of Food Stamps

What do you think? Is it an abuse of the system that someone who has $500,000 in their pocket, but is "unemployed", is still allowed to collect food stamps?

If you are unemployed the system give you money cause you are unemployed. He doesn't look that you are unemployed ... but with how much money.

Easier said than done Art, in this environment. That being said, on $500k, here, even without return on capital, I could live decently (by local standards) till I die.

A 10% return seems very optimistic

Not at all, it is very realistic.

Real estate in Canada, for one, remains very strong:

Recent reports on:
- residential: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/922681/strong-performance-in-canadian-real-estate-continues
- commercial: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/927...f-improvement-to-decline-over-the-coming-year

I mean there are banks in the world that are still paying 2.4% interest per annum, so $500k brings in $1,000/mo without any work at all. You can sustain yourself at that level already and not go in debt.

Don't forget credit unions. My credit union offers 2.97% compounded monthly. Don't forget a Roth IRA where you can roll over your 401k if you wanted. Sure it means you can touch it for many years from now, but the return on investment is pretty awesome. That's a NO RISK system. If you're willing to take a little bit of risk, you can increase that return greatly.

I am so tired of the "entitled" battle, people think they are already entitled to everything. I am sorry but if it comes down to the ethics of the human race as a majority to decide our fate, we would mostly all parish in the fire. This woman makes me sick.

Another multi-miilionaire here - winning ticket worth 233 million sold in Red Bud, IL - just down the road from me. I don't think that ticket has been claimed yet.

I still can't get over the lady in this thread saying things were tough. I should have it so tough. :)

I heard on the latest news that her food stamps have been stopped. She has to pay back all assistance she got since she won the lottery. She had not reported the winnings and that puts her into trouble.

I hope they take her to task.
I don't think this is a criminal offense but a message needs to be sent.
Hopefully they will require her to repay any government monies that were allocated to her.

BUT, when I read this
Asked if she had the right to the public assistance money, Clayton answered, "I kind of do. I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."

that makes me think she should be feel the full brunt of the system.

Wow.. well I guess that topic comes to a close pretty quickly then eh? :) Wonder if her kids will get the money she won, or if the state is going to take a chunk based on the death tax.