Who owns the web hosting review sites?

grsmith

In a search on google for "web hosting reviews" I get a lot of returns. Recommendations on "best" sites are all over the map, with some strange inconsistencies. For example, a "best" site will appear on two sites but not be listed on a third site. In further research I'm told that several web hosting companies (such as Infinology) own several web hosting review sites. What's the truth here? Is there a truly independent review site?

And yes, I had an account with Featureprice because they were listed as "best." Now their ratings are the lowest of any hosting company.

Most host review sites aren't what they claim to be. Many are influnced by cash. The more cash they pay the higher the ranking on the website. I'm not saying all of them are like that but the majority are.

Eddie is completely right, the only reason most of these hosts are shown as being #1 or "spotlight host" is because they paid to be there.

Exactly, its disappointing to many hosts who do not want to pay to have their host assured to be the best. It really is not fair when people ask for your host to be reviewed by these websites because they often ask for money for them to post a link.

Thanks for the verification. I shouldn't be a newbie at this but seem to have a real talent for picking webhosting companies that suddenly disappear. Based on what all of you all (yes, I'm in the south) are saying, the way to go about this is research, research, research. I'm still learning. Thanks for your help.

www.richardsmith.net

When looking for a host first start by looking at your fianaces.

If you only have $60 a year to spare for hosting then in google do a search for " $60 per year webhosting " or something along them lines. Then out of the results gather a list of hosts then do some tests.

The best test of all is to email technical support. Don't just email them once do it a few times with easy and complex questions and assess the response time. Write all your results down.

Once you have narrowed your list down to two or three come back too a place like this and do a search and see what others are saying about the companies you have shortlisted. Some companies may have more reviews than others due to how long they have been in business.

hope this helps.