Which SSL certificate to purchase?

@localhost and @easyhostmedia

You are both correct, in technical terms, SSL certificates are all as strong and secure.

However, unscrupulous people can get an SSL certificate too, but you must meet specific criteria to get an OV or EV certificate like your company must be present at its trading address, the company directors are all contactable etc, and that removes much of the uncertainty involved.

@localhost and @easyhostmedia

You are both correct, in technical terms, SSL certificates are all as strong and secure.

However, unscrupulous people can get an SSL certificate too, but you must meet specific criteria to get an OV or EV certificate like your company must be present at its trading address, the company directors are all contactable etc, and that removes much of the uncertainty involved.

yes i know the process for EV certs after i got a free one from Comodo and the processes to get it approved was unbelievable

needed the ltd company details, need my DUNS number, needed a copy of my passport etc. and then on my website every single thing had to run under https (even any external links)

We used comodo often however since you can now use the free ssl from cpanel or lets encrypt that has been the way we have gone.

You are aware that these free SSL are not as good as a paid SSL.

Just because users can get free SSL does not mean you just give up and stop selling SSL certs.

My servers are set with autoSSL ( so all accounts will get a free cPanel SSL), but i still sell a load of SSL certs as if you think of the old saying 'no such thing as a free lunch' as these are free for a reason, like you get free anti virus that does not have all the features the paid version does.

Agree with Let's Encrypt, it's free, automatic and supports by all browsers. In addition, it is not a commercial organization that manages it.

There is many choices in SSL now. Its upto your budget and your needs.

If your website is in cPanel, you can use cPanel auto SSL.

Let's encrypt SSL - free for one year
Geotrust - low cost
VeriSign
Comodo
GoDaddy Standard SSL
Digicert

Now a days, LetsEncrypt is just fine.

only fine for personal websites, no good for professional sites as these free SSL certs dont give the same amount of protection or assurance.
It is the same as all the free Anti Virus software, these give limited protection

you can go for comodo essentional certificate it provide more money guarantee in compare to positive and its around $6 per year but if money is not important and security is important go with verisign

you can go for comodo essentional certificate it provide more money guarantee in compare to positive and its around $6 per year but if money is not important and security is important go with verisign

Comodo Essential SSL cert is far more than $6 a year as that is the price you would pay for a Comodo Positive SSL