Which merchant do you choose?

When you are looking for a merchant account for your hosting business what do you primarilly look for?

Do you go with a well known company with higher rates, or do you settle for another one less heard of with lower rates?

What rates would you expect to receive for an online business?

I live in Ireland so I need to ensure its available for customers in Ireland, a few dont so its something I looked into first.

I think support has to be very good for a merchant account as if problems arise you need answers fast, if it goes down, you need to know when it will be up etc.

I would rather go with an established company that charger higher rates than one I have never heard of that offers me a better price.

i think the rates are a bit high really but there isnt much choice available at the minute so nothing you can do really

I havent heard of them either Andrew, what is their website?
How long have you been using them for?
Do you think there are good?

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, heres more info on e-online data....

We resell their merchant accounts, but this isnt intended as spam, if you decide to go with them, please sign up directly from their site, rather then ours...

e-online data uses authorize.net in the background, therefore they are compatible with almost every shopping cart and accept pretty much every currency..

Their customer service is second to none and their merchant rates are very attractive:

2.29% VISA/MasterCard Qualified Discount Rate
$0.30 Authorization Fee per transaction
$10.00 Monthly Statement Fee includes 24/7 Customer Support
NO AVS Address Verification Fee
NO Application Fee
NO Leasing

Theres no setup fee for their merchant account, but you do have to purchase their gateway (which is $79 US). If you are patient, they waive this fee every now and then. Your only cost is then the $10 minimum per month (ie. once your transaction fees go over $10/month, its not costing you anything but your normal transaction fees).

Anyway, we made the switch some time ago to a merchant account vs 3rd party payment processor for "business" reasons. Dealing with fraud, chargebacks, etc.. is ALOT easier with your own merchant account vs a 3rd party processor....

Hope this helps....