Whats your favorite OS

Vibe

What is your favorite OS?

I'm just curious to know what most people like most and explain why.

linux
unix
win2k

I personally like linux the most but also like win2k for certain things.

Homer go ahead and add a poll if you want I didn't care to.

Yellow people, I'm invading the forum.
I will try to please everyone. Some will be happy that I came, some will be happy that I stay, and the rest will be happy when I'm on vacation!

As for the question, since this is the General Hosting section I guess your thinking the favorite OS for web hosting. I personally like Linux. Its what we use on our web hosting servers. I've experimented with Solaris(unix) on a netra I bought and its pretty quick, but less user friendly than Linux. Linux is faster than Windows 2k, and more secure. I'm also into the plesk, PHP mySQL scene which works best with Linux.

As for Desktop OS, I like Windows 2000. Its faster than XP and it doesn't crash on me. Haven't found many problems with it yet :) .

Well for play i love NT/2K and even XP tho for work I tend to lean towards Redhat and Slackware

I use win2k server for all my development work........but I also like linux alot,
and that is what is used for the hosting side of things.......

For the GUI (I'm not a huge fan of X, etc.), I like NT. For Server stuff, I like either *BSD, Sun/Solaris or Linux. For Linux dists, I prefer Slackware over the other's.

RE: Whats your favorite OS?

OK, I've read the opinions. As a newbie looking for a web host with an OS that is relatively friendly, please help with just a little elaboration for lay folks. I've read elsewhere that if I want a frontpage type site I should look for a win2k host. *nix sites have benefits over win sites (stability, price, etc). But I see that everyone offers Frontpage extensions. I'm planning on using Frontpage 2k for now because I would like running results soon without the steep learning curve of some of the other web builders. Should the OS make any difference to me? I have big hairballs over Microshaft, but learning and changing to Linux looks like a longer term fix for me. I'm running Win98/Me at home because I don't care to be extorted by brother Bill at the moment. Since I'm connected to a Win world (outlook, word , et.al.) with my friends and an unconcious (sp?) employer, I HAVE to be able to speak win from linux, freebsd, whatever. I know what you like, now what do you think I can use so I won't be plagueing my host provider or you, for that matter, with problems as I get the hang of this? You shouldn't have to become my surrogate programmer for me to get something I can use. I know the difference between being helped and being carried. Thanks for all you're doing. This forum is rich in info and I appreciate it.

Desktop wise - windows 2000
Server wise - RedHat

Reasons -
Desktop: not a fan of linux with a GUI and im not using console when doing business / lesuire.

Server: Stability and security, I also love the structure of linux and its logic.