Whats the difference between Linux web hosting and Windows web hosting?

Santos Bulus

Please tell me what the difference is between linux web hosting and windows web hosting. I made my site by dreamweaver does that affect either of the two i should choose please tell me....

Windows and linux, no matter which platform you select for hosting your site. All web servers are configured to support HTML files.
I would suggest to go with linux servers as for security solution.

These days Windows and Linux are not too dissimilar on the security front as this is really down to the competence of the company you are with however depending on what type of website you are looking to host or what you intend to use, you will have to make the decision between the two.

Linux shared hosting or windows shared hosting allow for the use of different languages namely, for most websites Linux is the better option this is due to a number of reasons but namely the responsiveness and price tend to be lower (not always) and very few scripts require what the windows environment can offer.

If however you intend to use any of the Microsoft languages such as the .NET environment, MSSQL, ASP then you will require a Windows sever environment and as a provider some other both or one or the other. At the end of the day it depends on your usage however the common misconception is “I’m on windows thus I need windows” doesn’t hold true but the usual recommendation is Linux.

Linux is more popular than Windows hosting. Linux supports PHP natively and most of your free softwares are PHP. Windows can support PHP too but I suggest Linux.

I don't think these two hostings will affect your site.

You may also will look for web hosting sites to host your site. Then http://www.shopaserver.com is right option for you. Cheapest and reliable hosting in much small prices.

It really shouldn't make a difference which you choose, but like it was stated before, Linux is cheaper (no license) and is on par with Windows or better. It should be an easy decision at that point. The only reason to have Windows hosting is for specific Windows programming or software.

Linux supports PHP and Windows generally supports ASP. Linux is generally more options.All website today currently use a Web server, Windows or Linux server-based applications. Most sites run Linux-based Linux platform has a solid reputation for security and the web server hosting performance.Windows supports. Aspx, Asp files. Windows is more expensive to use because there is no license fee.

If you would like to work with php, mysql, joomla, droopal etc you shall use linux hosting and if you are using asp.net files you should use windows hosting.

Windows supports php, asp, mssql, mysql, .NET etc.. But Linux is not supporting all. Still I prefer the Linux hosting due to security concern and cost. :)

Cost of Linux hosting is gernally cheaper because of licensing issues,

Windows is a lot less secure, and unless you are a MCSE with every MS Certification under your belt.

If you are serving PHP/MySQL, It's native to the Linux environment, although it WILL work with Windows. ASP pages are very tough to get working with Linux, although it can be done

Windows Histing you can use exchange for mail services, once again, if you don't know exchange, don't bother.

I likewise will take Linux over Windows any day.

So far our company only provide linux based technology account, since it is more secure than windows, but it has nothing to do with your operating system, most of our prospective clients have a questions regarding this

As a personal preference, I prefer Linux due to cPanel control panel.

Personal preference pays a big role though, as well as pricing - as mentioned Windows hosting is generally more expensive.
But there are some things you can't get on Linux you can get on Windows, and vice versa.

Depends on what your requirements are, and what you plan to do.

Noting though, Windows is not less-secure than Linux, both OS need hardening (and the admin also plays a role as mentioned). The desktop variant doesn't necessarily mean the server version is the same.

Windows servers use files named *.htm while Linux servers use files named *.html
Features of Linux web Hosting are:
1. It is an open source system
2. Free to use and is cheaper. More companies are providing
3. Linux also has a reputation for stability and speed which means that Linux web servers will crash less
4. Linux runs most processes faster than Windows.
5. Linux supports a wide range of software, applications, languages, and databases such as PHP, Perl, PostGre, MySQL etc
6. If there are a high number of processes running at the same time, then Linux handles such processes much better.
7. Linux Operating System also has its share of security issues since its source code is available to the public

Features of Windows web Hosting are:
1. Less cost-effective
2. Less number of companies are providing.
3. Less stability and speed that they will crash more easily
4. If there are a high number of processes running at the same time, then windows can’t handles such processes with ease
5. If you are using Access, ASP, MS SQL, or VB development tools then Windows would be a better bet. Windows servers also offer web developers the use of Microsoft's programming environments such as Active Server Pages (ASP), Visual Basic Scripts, MS Index Server.
6. Windows servers are not as secure as Linux servers, mainly because the large number of users using windows operating systems.