What would you do if you got spam

BlackStorm

When you get spam, what do you do?
Do you just delete the message, click a link to unsubscript from a mailing list, block the address or domain, contact your upstream (host) and get them to block the spam from the server, contact the sender of the spam directly or do you blacklist the domain for sending spam through one of the various sites available?

Normally I would block the domain myself, unless it was a doamin like yahoo, hotmail etc. then I would just block the address and some info from the header, subject etc.

I wouldnt click any of the links to unsubscribe because that just signs you up for even more mailing lists..

Well I send a message to the spammer letting him know kindly that if he doesnt delete me from his list and if I get another message from him I will send him 10 000 messages which will keep on coming every hour until he decides to stop bugging me and this works..:D

That is a very umm different way of handling it Rahul.. haha.. never heard of that one before.. I just delete the spam and NEVER unsubscribe to it, because as John says, signs you up for more most times.

Lol yeah suppose you could threaten to spam them if they spam you once more ;)

I think that if you reply to some of the mailing lists that might also signup you up on more which is why I normally dont respond or try contact them in anyway.
Even if I did, they are likely to be sending out millions and getting thousands of replies so its not very likely he will pay attention to each email

Well then if he doesnt pay attention to MY email...forget the rest :) then I would have to have a personal chat with him and his upstream provider.

I just delete it... I have spam software so I automaticly know its spam. I too, NEVER CLICK UNSUBSCRIBE!!! This just tells the company that they have a REAL email address. Then since you opted out of their mailing list, you are put on a SELLING list. They then take this list of VERIFIED EMAILS and sell them. So, I just delete them...

Thanks a lot for that link grace5 :)
Just got details about a spammer I have been getting email from for a while so I think I might contact their upstream soon enough by using the info from that site

I have Spam Assasin, but how do you block the domain from it, or is that something only the host can do themselves :( ? It does seem to do a pretty good job of blocking spam though.

My friend was getting 300 spam messages a day! They clicked unsubscribe and now they only get 1 a week. I'd say that might of been worth it

I usually try to both block the domain and report the SPAM to the proper persons. I really really hate SPAM and so far I've avoided as much as I can.

I am using mailwasher to sort out all spams, delete and bounce them back. It is only helpful with mailing list which automatically removes email addresses, which are invalid.

I will never ever use thier unsubscribe option, which to basically a trap to unsubscribe from one list and subscribe to several others.

Sometime, if time permits, I do make complains to Spam cop and hostmaster of the server from where email was generated,

I really wouldnt have enough time to make a complaint, sometimes Im not too busy but then I would have other things that would come before reporting spam.

Wish someone higher up could once and for all make a decision that will help everyone in regard to spam