What type of web hosting do I need?

Beautiful work. will probably save alot of people some cash mulla.
Someone should create the same thing for webhosts what they should have and when.

I like this post is very clear and will help many people, But if you could add the new cloud hosting I think it would help and add Resellers hosting, some people puchase resellers hosting to set up different sites and sell the sites.

and describe the semi-manages, full managed, and other services you can get with different hosting types.

It all depends on what your gonna be doing. usually a shared hosting account is the best way to go. And some you can find for less than three dollars a month.

If its a normal traffic website then one should start with Shared Hosting. Many hosts offers levels of shared hosting i.e multiple shared hosting plans are available and higher plans have more resources available and less number of users setup. So start with shared hosting plan, upgrade to higher shared hosting plan if the site grows then to VPS and finally a dedicated server if you get that much traffic.

But it truly depends that how much traffic the website gets and how much resources it require. This will decide the plan that one should have. Best way is to submit a query to different hosts with the requirements and get an idea that what they suggest.

•Collocation - If you live near colocation services and you own your own server, this is a great way to get lightning fast internet speeds and have a nice cool place to store your server at hopefully a reasonable price. Your mileage may vary.
You don't need to live close to a data center to colocate your servers. One of our larger clients is from Europe, and many more are scattered around the US.

Thanks for covering all aspects of web hosting. It is not that easy which type of web hosting would be better. Because shared hosting cost less than dedicated or VPS web hosting. But for a person like me who have small online business, shared web hosting is a better person.

Hosting is only half the picture.

If you are truly lost and building a business around a web site, kidnap or hire someone that knows about hosting.

A key consideration is management of your hosting platform. As you move up the service ladder, you gain more power and control. With this control comes more responsibilities, which may or may not be met by your hosting provider.

For example, I know of a business that moved a growing blogging operation from shared hosting to VPS, only to find out after a database failure that backing the VPS was his responsibility.

I highly recommend people lead with business requirements. Who's going to backup the data? Who's going to keep the application secure? How much money do we lose if the site goes down? How will server outages impact our client's impression of us?

There are a lot of business questions to answer before you even turn to application requirements.

You may find you have modest application requirements but significant business requirements.

For example, I have a client with 30-40 targeted domains with simple lead generation forms. You would think this could be on a shared reseller plan but they have 2 dedicated servers. One is a hot spare in another facility. Why?

The site serves lead gen pages for TV advertisements. The TV ads are expensive and not easy to pull in an instant. The last thing you want is to spend $10K on day's TV ad run and then have your site offline. So they spend according to business needs not technical ones.

To me even though vps might not be needed ,I think vps is worth even for building simple websites because how long it takes you to build ur site on shared if the freaking thing is down all the time?

Why would it be down all the time?
There are thousands of high quality very reliable shared hosting providers out there.
Why would someone pay the extra money for VPS, in most cases a lot more money, when they don't need it?

This is some great information. VPS hosting I agree has some grey areas and some people get this confused with Reseller hosting. Not the same.

Again thank you for this post it is good to see that someone is giving good information.

You mentioned right, shared hosting is for personal sites, and it is very convenient if you have multiple sites, which have small size but are very valuable for you.

Certainly, there are pro's and con's to each type of hosting. You really need to match each plan to your specific requirements, keeping in mind potential growth. Can you upgrade with your provider - from shared to VPS to Dedicated?

I would suggest if you are just starting out or you go with shared to learn the ropes of hosting.

If you have a larger site that needs it's own private space I would go with VPS or Dedicated Server.