What made you decide to be a Webhost?

Sessionmedia

Hey all,

I thought maybe we could start alittle chat about why or what made you go into the webhosting bussiness???

For myself I was always into advertising with experience in the Direct mail marketing field as well as being a internet junky. I decided to merge both my loves.

So what made you guys go into this field?

I owned/operated a web design business and resold for another host via that business. The host I had at the time well... went downhill and later sold-out. At that point we decided to build our own server and host the clients ourselves. Next thing we knew there was no time for web design :D

Tonight I'm sitting here in total awe as we just opened our own private data center. Announcing that to our clients has really sent me down memory lane. So much has happened from the time I started that old design business to today. It's amazing really. (I failed to read the rules here so I'll avoid posting the link JIC)

In short though, it was a serious case of "If you want something done right...you just have to do it yourself." Everything grew from there...

Why I started Genius Hosting Services

I started this up with a good friend of mine. We're both computer & internet freaks. ;)
And with my sense of leadership & company management, I decided that this could be a possible success.

Up until now my expectations have come true. :)

My motivation as getting f***ed by other ISP's and watching other clients get the same treatment.

I thought that if I did it, I could do it right, and the way I thought it should be done. We have grown rapidly, so I guess I am doing something right.

Funny part is, when I talk to new customers or existing customers about past experiences, I still get so irrate when I hear the things that other ISP's are doing/did to them in the process.

As a ISP, customers put alot of thier business in your hands, and alot of thier sucess for alot of the striving .com's rely on you. Some do not understand this, they look at it as just another business that will run itself. It is that attitude (running itself) that got me so interested to do it myself and see if I could have sucess at it.

Yeah, I know. I can get VERY angry when I hear stories from customers at -for example- HostOnce.com & co. :angry:
Sure pisses me off... :mad:

what made you go into the webhosting bussiness
Well, at first I was only a college student in Computer Science who wanted to have a website for my church fellowship in the 90's. I have a lot of good friends (alumni) and I'd like to have a website that keeps everyone in touch. But it was only ideas.

Few years later, I decided to pursue it. Once I got my server running, there was a friend from the missionary fields that wanted to have a website. Next couple of days, my church wanted to have a website as well. Then another friend who owns a company requested the same thing. They also said that they are willing to pay for the cost. And then I thought ... we could make this a business while helping others with their website! So here we are. :) (Thank God)

Also, I would like to work close to my wife and children (not yet, but maybe soon). My wife and I plan to home school our children so I have to be able to work from home and web hosting business gives me that flexibility. :)

I have to go with nodehost. Main reason me and my partner started vibehost was becuase we knew we could do much better than the hosts we have had experiences with.:)

Yah I have to admit, we wanted to be the best. We felt we could get an edge on other companies because we had a lot of experienced people who worked for shares of the profit we made. We have grown wonderfully, and now am paying most staff a full salary.

If I had to start over again, I would only do one more thing differently ... appreciate my first customers more then I did at the beginning. I now (and for the past months) understand the full value of a customer, and I have been able to establish very good relationships with my customers.

I decided because I spend about 12 hours on the computer a day. I enjoy talking to people and helping them. After about 5 companies I have been with only 1 I would have stayed with but I still decided to make my own. I only have a couple of clients but they are great people and maybe I will expand.

After several years of reselling experiences, I decided to purchase a few dedicated servers to host my clients.

LoL, I have tried almost 30 web hosting co. that include Dot5Hosting, Dathorn, PerformanceHosting, PhpWebHosting, OnTargetHosting, Arivoo, and many other hosts.

AGCC started off developing software (which we still primarily do), and one day one of our bespoke clients said to us "would you host/ design our site" - so I started reselling for another host, got burned and moved to another host and finally setup our own server and then a few racks and so on and so forth.

Now our income is probabaly higher from hosting and our internet services (like colo / wifi and dsl and so on) than software development. But the customer base from our hosting is no where near our software side of things still, mainly due to our freeware stuff.

I started hosting back in '95/'96 on Windows NT4 with IIS3. Basically the hosting industry for NT didn't really exist much back then and i'd decided that it was possible to do it, so erm.... did it (with a 64k leased line from Demon Internet and a Dual Pentium Pro 200 under my desk). It was amazing how many people said that hosting on NT wasn't possible at the time: only fuelled my constant desire to prove people wrong.

What made you decide to be a Webhost?

Mine seems to be DivineHosting's duplica :D

ohno , i turning into an internet freak !!!!

My pc is on whenever I am not sleeping and when i am not sleeping I am ALWAYS using it :(

I have tried many host too, around 6 or 7 and somehow, someway, there's always some unpleasantness.
Even with some reputatable ones on WHT !

Although I did look myself in the mirror to see if I too demanding or they cant care less and I managed to give myself a pad.

I've stayed with my last host (or should I say my ADMIN actually) for sometime now even though I started my own Hosting company.

With this business, at least I doing something rite and not wasting electricity and time :D

well .The hosting industry seemed very interesting. So I tryed working with some and gained alot of exp. Then decided to open my own :)
Thanks

I would love to become a web host but i wish i knew more about technical stuff for being a webhost. Does anyone know anywhere on the internet that have articles about "how to operate a web hosting business?" or something similar ? Well I'm still trying to learn how to become 1 from reading posts from webhostingtalk and hostingdiscussion and "hopefully" I can have my own business some day ....

there are books on amazon about starting up a hosting business and guides on setting up / configuring servers.etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8