What level of RAID do you use?

Software raid does allow for hot-swap. I have personally tested it.

I use software raid 10. Its simple to set up and reliable. No chance of a raid card failing.

I would like to clarify that with software raid there is more to it than just adding the hard drive. You still have to partition it and then add it to the array. It only takes a few minutes to do that.

+1 Raid 10 if you don't care about the "wasted" space or raid 50/60 if you need the space. If you want to go with software or hardware depends on your budget and preferences

Its depends upon your requirement, if you are looking for a good write speed and read speed and do not need redundancy, you can go with RAID 0. You can check it with RAID calculator.

====
http://www.raid-calculator.com/default.aspx
====

Always recommend h/w raid because its has its own BIOS to manage its functions so OS do not need to spend time for it.

RAID10 is definitely the best option, keeping in mind fault tolerance in writing/reading speed.

In comparison:
RAID10
Speed gain - 4x read and 2x write speed gain
Fault tolerance - At least 1-drive failure

RAID1
Speed gain - Up to 2x read speed, no write speed gain
Fault tolerance - 1-drive failure

All of our virtual private servers are built with SSD drives configured in RAID10 for optimal performance.

RAID 0 is only good for better performance, and not for high availability. It also matters whether you have hardware or software RAID, because software supports fewer levels than hardware-based RAID.

I use RAID 0 - It provides no data redundancy nor fault tolerance and improves the performance on multiple drives. It has no error detection so the failure of one disk causes the loss of all data on the array.

The minimum level of RAID that we use is RAID 1. Unless you have very thorough backups, and clients who are fine with content being offline for extended period of times, RAID 1 is pretty much the minimum fault tolerance we allow, and only implement if we have a server with 2 drives available. In the event we have more than 2, then we implement RAID 10. Lastly, for our backup servers, we implement parity 6, since these are cold storage with little use, and just implement more checks on the hardware for the process of replacement"

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. In general, a RAID-enabled system uses two or more hard disks to improve the performance or provide some level of fault tolerance for a machine.
- Fault tolerance providing a safety net for failed hardware by ensuing that the machine with failed component, usually a hard drive, can still operate.
- Fault tolerance lessens interruptions in productivity , and it also decreases the chance of data loss.
You can setup a single disk with two partitions: one to boot from and ohter for data storage and have the data partition mirrored.
- It also matters whether you have hardware or software RAID, because software supports fewer levels than hardware based RAID. Different controllers support different levels of RAID and also dictate the kinds of disks you can use in an array- SAS, SATA or SSD

Good information.., Which RAID you would refer for VPS ?

I would say most of the time it depends on the datacenter. We would suggest ussing RAID 1 aswel as the RAID 10, but anyway looks like You already figured that out.