What do you suggest?

bandboy

I have had a client on free web hosting who violated TOS, not once but thrice. He was required to place text-link ad on his site and he failed to do so on three diff. occassions. Each time we had to suspend his account and then he would assure us of text link placement only to be found missing a couple of days later. Nothing holds me from terminating his account but i was trying to give him a chance. It seemed third time it happened, my patience just gave way and i terminated his account. He wasn't vsiting forums often earlier but now visits forums and in feedback section, lashes out on how rude we are. Since i don't curb voices, i let people express themselves till they don't cross the line, so he was allowed to speak. Other members tried to confront him and when situatino escalated, i had to close the thread. From past couple of days, i have been in rceipt of plenty of unsolicited mails. I enquired over this and found that someone had subscribed to list of some spam site and IP provided for subscriber in their emails was from US. I searched using that IP and find this disgrunted member whose account was terminated. It seems he subscribed to plenty of sites giving them our email. And sicne most of these sites spam, so they are now sending emails.

Situation is very bad as of now. Its a helpdesk email address and i can't ignore it but i am fed up of deleting 15-20 emails every other hour. cpanel's flters aren't working much.

I am very much pissed of on this weirdo and would want to terminate his forum account as well, but there is something in me which is holding me from doing so. I have shot him an email warning him of consequences of his action and possible legal implications irrespective of his age. I am yet to hear from him.

If you were in my situation, how would you handle it out?

Give it till the end of the day, then delete him and forget about him. Eventually he'll stop. By responding to him I think your giving him an incentive to keep going after you. You've said to him what you need to so now leave it alone, he'll eventually go away. Just my 2cents.

It's time to ban him altogether IMO. Too much leniency does not help enforce rules. it's exactly what happened here. He probably sees you as vulnerable/weak.

Thanks for your suggestions and thats probably what i am going to do now. I guess too much leniency is being interpreted as vulnerability on my part, as ldcdc says. Probably it is time to push the button.

If you have a member who violated your TOS, then ban him out right. Rules are there as our guidelines and to keep things under control. If you let him get away with what he is doing, then the integrity of your company can somehow be tainted.

I think after 3 times of having to asking him to place the link up and LEAVE it up, I'd tell him he has 48 hrs to backup his files. After those 48 hrs I'd delete the account and in his thread he made, you should simple post the TOS. If he broke one of the agreements, just bold which one it is and place it in the thread. Simple as that...

Thanks guys and gals (if any) :p

I did exactly what was suggested. Account terminated, thread locked, forum acc. suspended for 9 months.

bandboy said:
forum acc. suspended for 9 months.
This should be a permanent ban, bandboy. I like how you are being human about this and still believe in people, giving them second chances, but your case is pretty strong that this person is only interested in abusing your resources. Let him run free in the land of other free hosting providers. :)

Best,

Permanent Ban awarded, courtesy HD suggestions. :)
I just hope he doesn't come back using any other IP, username or email. Virtually hosts are helpless in such situations unless they ban entire city or town. :)

This is one of the bad aspects of free web hosting, coz you get all sorts of psyco's signed up and when something goes wrong they go and do all the immature stuff. And if it was a paid hosting then none of this would happen at 1st place coz the then you wouldn't have to go through all this coz of some pointless link back.

bandboy said:
Situation is very bad as of now. Its a helpdesk email address and i can't ignore it but i am fed up of deleting 15-20 emails every other hour. cpanel's flters aren't working much.

Im also having the same prob, im getting lot of junk mail from one guy who advertise some Canadian pharmaceutical company under all different names and email ID's, i know its just one guy, who is a very famous spammer, i saw some information abt this psycho on google and so it means im not the only victim lol

One of the things I REALLY like about Client Exec is that its support ticket system will only take emails from registered users. If anyone else sends an email to our support email address, a nice templated email explaining why they can't get through is sent to the sender.

It really is quite critical since so many hosts use easy email addresses like support@ sales@, etc.

Cerberus has a gating option as well but I haven't played with it extensively enough to know how well it works.

I would agree with you band boy, I would expect the same if I given hosting freely to people, something that I thinking of getting into free hosting,

Me and my business partner has been working on a way the customer have banners advertising our services and customers services on free websites, and we got it working, but we kind of got a lot of stuff to do firstly before we launch a free service. has hosting is one side of our business,

Thanks
John

We have had this problem. The client has to remember that you are not a free host and that you are helping him/her out. If they do not abide by your TOS then termination is on them. You have to understand that business is business and if you let one person walk on you, then others will expect the same service... This can become a much bigger head ache.