What are the pros and cons of accepting Bitcoin for payment?

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
For those of us that do not offer Bitcoin as a method of payment for this segment of the hosting industry, have you considered implementing that in the future or have you completely ruled it out, and why? I'm curious how you proactively prevent Bitcoin fraud?

If you have a customer who is not breaking any rules, hosts the correct kind of content and keeps paying you but has signed up with the wrong name and address, are they still a good customer? I believe that's the right question.

Once paid by BitCoin the transaction is not reversible, so the money is yours. That's the good thing.

But the payment source does not back up the names and addresses in your database. That's the one bad thing.

If you follow up any BitCoin customers by phoning them, then I think you've done all you can.

We accept BitCoin, but haven't had many takers, we had had a few of enquiries about it and as it doesn't cost anything to provide, we set it up.

Still a tricky arena. There is a lot of noise about bit coin before you set it up and one you do you realize there are very few too few clients that actually use it. I still its still a gamble that could easily go either way.

Bitcoin Value can drop to Zero and all funds could be lost.
I know the usa is trying to make it illegal to use bitcoin.

There are numerous pros though I think the main one is that some clients prefer to pay via Bitcoin and it is very easy to add Bitcoin:

For US business that use Stripe, Bitcoin is very easy to accept. They take care of everything for you pretty much.

If for any of my projects I had to accept Bitcoin, it would be through Stripe.

The type of person who insists on paying with bitcoin and nothing else I do not want as a customer.

To sell a "virtual service" and not accept "virtual currency" is weird imo. Please redirect all your customers to my organization.

Gold Bullions > Silver > Dollars > Bitcoin > Dwolla > Everything else..

Bitcoin is a perfect currency for people who desire privacy. It's more risky because the value can drop or raise really fast, but that's what makes it exciting. Check out a website call CoinBase, you'll really love what they did.

To sell a "virtual service" and not accept "virtual currency" is weird imo.

So it must also be your opinion that exchanging gold for food is weird since gold is not edible? Your brain works funny.

Bitcoin is a perfect currency for people who desire privacy.
Bitcoin is not private, its anonymous. Big difference. Learn it.

But even then, Bitcoin is not anonymous unless the entry point is acquiring bitcoin in a private transaction, as compensation for goods or services rendered, or as a reward for mining.

Last edited:
I've read of quite a few providers that do indeed accept BitCoin, and their main selling point is that you cannot do chargebacks with BitCoin, plus they've found the fraud rate is actually lower than with credit cards.