Warning: Don't Ever Use Midphase

Sidular

Hello again, friends. :)

I'm only posting another thread to warn you guys of a website hosting provider that engages in malicious or otherwise unethical business activity.

Today, I received a spam email message to my main business address.
Here's the message - http://puu.sh/3t0KR.png
(headers verify that the message was indeed sent from midphase)

I've never used or even heard of Midphase before today, so there is absolutely zero chance that I willingly subscribed to a newsletter using my main business email address.

And there you have it. I'll see you in half a year. :)

Strange as far as I know mid phase is part of uk2 very reputable group in UK. Wouldn't suspect them for spam. Ever contacted one of the sub companies of uk2 before maybe?

Maybe some one else used your email address when talking to them.
I actually had them happen. For what ever reason some girl I do not know was using my email address on a site that didn't require her to verify the email address so not having access to it was not a problem for her.
Any way I started getting notices from that site for replies to PM and even topics on the forum. I went there to check out why I was getting these emails as I had never heard of the site.
I then did the forgot password which emailed me the password to the site and I logged in and saw all the PMs were replied to by who ever it was that was using my email address and she had also replied to the topics on the forum as well.

So what I did was talked to the owners of the site and had my account removed. Even though it was not even my account.

I actually had them happen. For what ever reason some girl I do not know was using my email address on a site that didn't require her to verify the email address so not having access to it was not a problem for her.
Any way I started getting notices from that site for replies to PM and even topics on the forum. I went there to check out why I was getting these emails as I had never heard of the site.
I then did the forgot password which emailed me the password to the site and I logged in and saw all the PMs were replied to by who ever it was that was using my email address and she had also replied to the topics on the forum as well.

So what I did was talked to the owners of the site and had my account removed. Even though it was not even my account.

Very could be. Never thought UK2 would actually do spam. Too large and too respected group to do so.

In today's world you cannot possibly keep track of where and how you leave your email anymore, so it might as well could have come from one of their partners you dealt with that shared the contact database. Just hit unsubscribe and move on. I am more than sure a company like Midphase will honor the subscription status.

i would be wary of using any unsubscribe link as i once got such a marketing email from Comodo, looked genuine, then header showed a hostname pertaining to be from Comodo, but when i checked the originating IP it was from Russia, even hovering over links showed the hostname the header displayed. I contacted my Comodo contact about this and gave him the header details which he called me back saying they were fake and to report the email to the abuse department.

Hello again, friends. :)

I'm only posting another thread to warn you guys of a website hosting provider that engages in malicious or otherwise unethical business activity.

Today, I received a spam email message to my main business address.
Here's the message - http://puu.sh/3t0KR.png
(headers verify that the message was indeed sent from midphase)

I've never used or even heard of Midphase before today, so there is absolutely zero chance that I willingly subscribed to a newsletter using my main business email address.

And there you have it. I'll see you in half a year. :)
I dont think Midphase engages itself in this way. If not you, maybe your any colleague, business friend, other friend, rival has posted your email on web or on Midphase somewhere.

Just click UnSubscribe and I am sure Midphase will respect your decision

First off MidPhase is part of the UK2 Group which is a very large & reputable company so I wouldn't put them in mind as a spammer ;).

Maybe you signed up to one of the UK2 brands before?

Though better to just hit unsubscribe and move on as mentioned above.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I made a minor mistake in my original post. The email address that the message was sent to was not my main business address, but rather an administrative address that operates mostly on an internal network. (there actually isn't a "main" address, but rather multiple addresses for multiple departments. I was quite tired when I wrote the original post, and am equally tired now. So, I apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes)

That isn't likely.
The email address was for an administrative staff account, and is incapable of sending out emails to addresses on different domains/networks. (it can receive emails, but cannot send)
So, it is impossible for a coworker to have contacted UK2 using this specific address, or for anyone to have used the address to contact them on my/our behalf.

In today's world you cannot possibly keep track of where and how you leave your email anymore, so it might as well could have come from one of their partners you dealt with that shared the contact database. Just hit unsubscribe and move on. I am more than sure a company like Midphase will honor the subscription status.

I've been in contact with a UK2 provider in the past, but never used this specific email address.
I can't quite recall which address I used to contact UK2. I'm not even sure if I used a business email address to contact them, or if I used a personal address.

i would be wary of using any unsubscribe link as i once got such a marketing email from Comodo, looked genuine, then header showed a hostname pertaining to be from Comodo, but when i checked the originating IP it was from Russia, even hovering over links showed the hostname the header displayed. I contacted my Comodo contact about this and gave him the header details which he called me back saying they were fake and to report the email to the abuse department.

I tend to avoid unsubscribe links until I receive a minimum of two emails, just to verify that I am indeed subscribed to a newsletter. I've never actually dealt with a talented spammer capable of masking the header information. Wasn't even aware that was possible with todays email technology. Will certainly keep that in mind from now on, though.

Have you solved your issues already?

Yes, and no.
I still can't quite explain how UK2 / Midphase (if it truly did come from them) got a hold of the administrative email address. However, the address has since been deleted from our network, and the administrator has been assigned a new email.

Thanks again for all of the replies.

depends on your admin email

if it was generic

admin@
sales@
support@

then they just guess the email using the above hoping they will be received by some

depends on your admin email

if it was generic

admin@
sales@
support@

then they just guess the email using the above hoping they will be received by some

The email wasn't easy to guess, and uses a specific email format.

admin - two digit number - first name - last name initial @domain

If they could somehow guess an email like that, I give the spammers some serious props for their hard work. (assuming, of course, the message was in fact sent by spammers, and not the company itself)

The best practice is to mark it as spam and move on. It's unfortunate when spam gets sent out but it happens. Although illegal, we get spam off our whois in snailmail and email.

It's hard to unsubscribe form some of these hosts.
I've railed against Semoweb and HostPolar for doing this in recent months -- and both are crappy hosts to boot!

I take a dim view of spamming hosts. :crash:

If your not sure of any email, then you should never user any unsubscribe link as doing this you will just tell those you sent the mail then have hit a live emails, so they can now sell your email so you will end up with more spam.

Do you think someone within your network or an ex client who may have known about the email purposefully signed that email up to receive the messages? Someone could have done it with a malicious intent.