Virtual machine!

They are a more cost effective way for users to get a private hosting environment than having to go with a full dedicated server.

If you don't require masses of resources but the facilities of a server, they're great.

You also have access to redundancy and scalability without needing to maintain your own infrastructure.

If you go for a standalone server and need some more RAM or more storage, it's downtime for the server. In modern virtualisation with clustering and cloud infrastructure being so readily available now, it's the way forward for many people/businesses.

As i understand more it's mainly price driven. If i want just some weak hosting with basic functionalities. Support, security are optional?

As i understand more it's mainly price driven. If i want just some weak hosting with basic functionalities. Support, security are optional?

On a basic level, yes. You can have minimal resources for a low cost.

But there's still people and businesses who are paying MORE for a virual setup than if they were leasing standalone dedicated servers. It's because it gives them more flexibility and it puts the management of hardware configuration in the hands of the supplier.

basically they are looking with root access, and minimal the cost. dedicated server may be too costly to them.

On a basic level, yes. You can have minimal resources for a low cost.

But there's still people and businesses who are paying MORE for a virual setup than if they were leasing standalone dedicated servers. It's because it gives them more flexibility and it puts the management of hardware configuration in the hands of the supplier.

Any specific examples when people choose to pay more for shared instead of dedicated ?

I think JSCL meant some people are agree to pay more for VPS instead of dedicated server.
A specific example might be customer not willing to migrate server at dedicated server end of life.

Last edited:
VPS versus dedicated is primarily price driven, given most VPS providers offer cPanel less expensively and offer at least basic management services.

Hi,

The whole concept of VPS has not changed a lot. It not about weak hosting or something. If you have a VPS in cloud, it will give you more resources than dedicated server with no headache of underlying hardware failure or things.

VPS has its own advantages. Of course, dedicated server will always be topmost compared to a normal VPS, but the whole concept is now slowly changing and people moving a lot towards cloud now.

I think JSCL meant some people are agree to pay more for VPS instead of dedicated server.
A specific example might be customer not willing to migrate server at dedicated server end of life.

People want to upgrade but don't want the headache and pay more for extra performance you say. I gues thats reasonable. I might do the same in that situation:)

Yes, that could be one reason, but again having online presence for maximum time is what is being preferred a lot and with a VPS on a cloud, it is even more guaranted..