Unlimited?

BlackStorm

What do hosts mean by unlimited bandwidth?
What if I use a lot of bandwidth, eg. 600gb and its unlimited, will my host not mind?
How do they provide the unlimited bandwidth?
Do they get unlimited bandwidth from the providers too?
How come some hosts charge me for certain amounts of bandwidth when I can just get unlimited from someone else?
Is unlimited bandwidth as reliable as getting from a host that has a limit?
How much should I pay for unlimited? How much is it worth?

What about unlimited space? Do they have new hard disks with no limit on the amount you can store, or do they have loads of hard disks?

Thanks!

John

PS. Im playing the devils advocate here ;)

I'm sure you know all about "unlimited" space and bandwidth so I'm not even going to bother explaining this :)

PS. Im playing the devils advocate here

Just asking to see what other people think as different people have different definitions and companies also have different definitions for unlimited space and bandwidth.

Its not that I know know :)

I see the term Unlimited as never ending. And there is really no such thing.

I tend to use the term Unlimited only on CPANEL features. Not with space, bandwidth. Sure it looks good on paper for both the client and host. But... when you come down to it if I paid 20$ a month for unlimited bandwidth I could od some wicked damanage :)

People need to start replacing UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH with the term UN-METERED BANDWIDTH

Another thing you will often find with "unlimited" hosts is in their TOS or AUP, some type of agreement, there is OFTEN a hidden statement saying if you use more than xGB or xMB you will be billed extra.

<!--QuoteBegin-John Diver+Oct 23 2003, 08:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (John Diver @ Oct 23 2003, 08:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What do hosts mean by unlimited bandwidth?
What if I use a lot of bandwidth, eg. 600gb and its unlimited, will my host not mind?
How do they provide the unlimited bandwidth?
[/b][/quote]
My interpretation is hosts that practice this policy are trying to get lots of customers quickly, with the understanding that they will lose any of customers who actually use alot of bandwith.

Even if they had "unlimited" bandwith, there is no way their servers could handle the load of a shared customer using, from your example, 600 GB.

I dont particularly mind hosts that sell this way, because any successful (meaning any customers whos websites grow in popularity and users) clients, will leave and will seek out a reputable host. Ultimately this can do nothing but hurt them, because in order for a host to be successful, they will have to grow with their customers, and this strategy makes it almost impossible to do so.

my $0.02

<!--QuoteBegin-gooooogle+Oct 23 2003, 04:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gooooogle @ Oct 23 2003, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I always stay away from anything that claims to be unlimited. [/b][/quote]
That Turly :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8