tragicservers is strange

easyhostmedia

I got my secondary VPS from tragicservers, so only a couple of client on this server, but the server keeps going offline.

this is the plan, so should handle a couple of small clients

2048MB RAM
1024MB VSwap
4 CPU Cores
100GB HD space
2000GB Bandwidth
1 Gbps Port
1 IPv4
3 IPv6
TUN/TAP

well i queried why the server keeps going offline and this is their reply

We only allow up to a 0.8 CPU load as per our ToS.

checked TOS and found it hard to find anything then i found this in their AUP

Hardware Usage (VPS):
Subscribers agree not to use more than .8 on the VPS extended periods or cause discruption on the hode node effecting other subscribers. High CPU usage and/or disruption may result in reboot, shutdown or suspension of your service without notice.

very strange as even Apache can top 1 CPU for short periods and any VPS and reach 0.8CPU very easily

That does seem very strange, I'm not sure I would use them for live customers.

Maybe they are trying to live up to their name?

Why provide 4 cores, if you are only allowed a load of .8?

They should cap the power by some other means, not just suspend or turn you off.

Why provide 4 cores, if you are only allowed a load of .8?

i asked then the same question and got this reply

CPU usage is on a fair share basis as it's shared across the containers on the node.

this server has 2 clients on with 6 sites in total ( all light sites)

my main server with another provider has approx. 1000 sites on and it only a 4 CPU and never shut down due to CPU issues, yes sometimes it will be slow if the load increases at times.

but the way tragic servers are going on is if your server reaches 0.8 it will suspend even if it only reaches this for a minute before dropping again.

so time to look for another provider for my secondary server

Was that there actual wording/grammar?

well ticket transcript is this

Terry Robertson || Client 07/24/2015 10:27
Hi

why does my server keep dropping offline

Roilan Salinas || Staff 07/24/2015 17:43
Have you been monitoring your CPU usage? We have scripts in place to shutdown VPS which are using too much CPU.

====================
Roilan Salinas
TragicServers Founder

Terry Robertson || Client 07/25/2015 00:32
Yes and on average the server used 1 CPU out of the 4 allowed

Roilan Salinas || Staff 07/25/2015 05:14
We only allow up to a 0.8 CPU load as per our ToS.

====================
Roilan Salinas
TragicServers Founder

Terry Robertson || Client 07/25/2015 05:19
then why provide 4CPU if you dont allow over 1 CPU

Roilan Salinas || Staff 07/25/2015 05:20
CPU usage is on a fair share basis as it's shared across the containers on the node.

====================
Roilan Salinas
TragicServers Founder

still daft to offer and sell you 4CPU and not allow you to use over 0.8CPU

nothing in their TOS, but in their AUP it strangely states

Hardware Usage (VPS):
Subscribers agree not to use more than .8 on the VPS extended periods or cause discruption on the hode node effecting other subscribers. High CPU usage and/or disruption may result in reboot, shutdown or suspension of your service without notice.

I think you misunderstood. I thought the writing was poor for a TOS so I was wondering if that was direct copy/paste or a re-typing. My comments are in brackets:

"Hardware Usage (VPS):
Subscribers agree not to use more than .8 [units?] on the VPS [for] extended periods [of time] or cause discruption [sp] on the hode [sp] node effecting [affecting] other subscribers. High CPU usage and/or disruption may result in reboot, shutdown or suspension of your service without notice."

I hope that is not their legal document. I can understand typos on websites, chats, FAQs, etc but in a TOS?

I think you misunderstood. I thought the writing was poor for a TOS so I was wondering if that was direct copy/paste or a re-typing. My comments are in brackets:

"Hardware Usage (VPS):
Subscribers agree not to use more than .8 [units?] on the VPS [for] extended periods [of time] or cause discruption [sp] on the hode [sp] node effecting [affecting] other subscribers. High CPU usage and/or disruption may result in reboot, shutdown or suspension of your service without notice."

I hope that is not their legal document. I can understand typos on websites, chats, FAQs, etc but in a TOS?

copy/paste as it is written https://www.tragicservers.com/tos.php.

maybe users cant use more than .8 chickens on the VPS as they dont actually tell you what the .8 is referring too.. also how can .8 CPU be high CPU usage

Wouldn't put any live clients on these servers haha.

Maybe opt for a more reputable provider ;).

Well Alex, i did all the research as in checking the company and any reviews and asking many questions and reading through their TOS and nothing stuck out as a red flag.

What's the virtualization type ? OpenVZ, Xen or KVM ?

OpenVZ, but still regardless 0.8CPU is no way high CPU usage unless the provider is on a VPS/dedicated server with only 1CPU himself, but if this is then he cannot sell and provide 4CPU servers

If your vps is still offline,you need to search for new one when your website is out of resource from your previous vps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys