Things not to say to your customer

This is a great thread. lol "We added this fee to your account because of enhanced revenue opportunities."

If any customer care reps ever tell you "Our systems are updating." Means the whole thing is crashed out and they have no idea when it is going to be fixed. I must have used that line a thousand times working for the old AT&T Wireless. Give me some time and I'll remember a whole lot more lines like this.

"Vendor issues" is another good one. It just means we screwed up and we're blaming someone else because we're tired of being yelled at on the phone.

A customer service agent actually said this to me, "Can you call back in 10 minutes, I just noticed it's pouring rain outside and my car windows are down." It was so hilarious to me I actually did call back!

I've had a host tell me

"your some ****ing idiot dumb ****!! don't waste my time if you don't want our offer"

I was quite shocked by their service and this was via AIM support. I had a sales question reguarding a server deal/special they had at the time... VERY VERY UNPROESSIONAL. If they don't want my business, they can tell me nicly.

I'd called about a service once and the guy went through a whole speech he was given. I was interested, but was still shopping around and wasn't completely thrilled with some of the terms he offered me. I thanked him and told him I'd call back if I decided to go with him. His response?

"Don't f*cking call if you're not willing to spend a little f*cking money. What a waste of f*cking time." And hung up on me. I can understand that he was probably working on commission or had a quota to meet, but I had his name, so he could get credit if I called back. That kind of attitude and service though? I never did.

Interesting attitude there. Getting paid per closed sale, can put some pressure on people, maybe even a bit too much, depending on his specific financial needs. But that's bad.

but I had his name
Which it's good you could recall, but most people probably don't, and each time someone closes the conversation without buying, the salesman gets only an x% chance of actually earning anything from that time he has already invested.

Here's one you'll love. I know a guy who would pretend the problem was real difficult and would say to his customer, "Do you mind if I place you on hold while I research this." Then he would put the person on hold go outside for a smoke and almost ten minutes later he would go back to his desk tell the customer the problem was fixed. He got written up for that when he got caught.

I remembered another one. I once had a guy tell me that "contrary to popular belief, the customer is 'not' always right, and that I was wrong." Unfortunately for him, I 'was' right and the manager I asked to be transferred to agreed with me, too. Even if the customer 'is' wrong, that's not the kind of attitude to approach it with....it makes for a very unhappy customer.