The Good and Bad Sides of WordPress Plugins

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
The good side of plugins is that they enhance the functionality of websites, but the bad side is that with increased plugins comes increased risks, not only from potential incompatibility with the current version of WordPress, but from potential threats like ransomware and malware.

Add to that, some plugins are resource hogs and will detrimentally slow down your site’s performance, leading to shopping cart abandonment and increased bounced rates.

What plugins you generally recommend and how can you reduce your exposure to bad plugins?

The obvious first answer to the last part is don't install anything that hasn't been updated for a long period of time or that hasn't been tested with a close to current version of WP.

Only install plugins when they actually solve an issue or need that you have, or when they truly add something to the user or admin experience. Don't install them just because they are on some list of 'Top 10 Must Have WP Plugins'

I'd also say don't think that just because a plugin is the most popular in it's niche that it automatically makes it the best, or the best for you needs. This especially applies to SEO and Caching plugins in my experience.

Agree with S4 Hosting on this one. Don't install and active plugins just because you read about it somewhere. Audit your website and see what you need. Choose the plugins based on user reviews and updates.
My all time favorite plugin, that I think a WordPress website would need, is Yoast SEO - it's prefect for beginners and helps a lot with creating content.
How to reduce exposure to malware? Keep everything up to date and compatible, so it works.

The good side of plugins is that they enhance the functionality of websites, but the bad side is that with increased plugins comes increased risks, not only from potential incompatibility with the current version of WordPress, but from potential threats like ransomware and malware.

Add to that, some plugins are resource hogs and will detrimentally slow down your site’s performance, leading to shopping cart abandonment and increased bounced rates.

What plugins you generally recommend and how can you reduce your exposure to bad plugins?
I've worked with many clients, and they all have varying levels of requirements. It often comes down to cost, as it's always possible to create a custom solution catered to a website versus purchasing and installing a WordPress plugin.

Typically, I'll check a plugin to see if they have a substantial installation record and positive reviews. Then, I'll monitor the development cycle to see how often they provide updates. You should clearly know the environment the plugin needs to operate in and make an educated decision after that.

Lastly, I would not be too concerned with plugin count. It shouldn't be a concern if you're excellently selecting quality/well-established plugins. In many cases, an eCommerce site will have many plugins you need to install, as most eCommerce plugins (WooCommerce, EDD, etc.) are modular. They will require you to install extensions to expand the functionality of your store.

Do your best to audit the plugins you have installed continually. Have they all been updated to work with the version of WordPress you're using? Has it been a long time since a maintenance release was provided?

This should help to keep your WordPress installation as clean as possible.