The basics:I want to create and host website

alexonias

How to create a website and host?
;) :dance:
Sir,
I want to start a website which contains a listing of top 100 website in different categories in our locality. I wish to everything by my own. There are only 9 webpages required in my site. Which is the best software which can interactivly be used(without writing codes) to make website?.
After making 9 webpages in my local hard disk, How do I make it available for people to see? Do I want to register the name of my company somewhere in web?

Thankyou for replying...
Alex

Alex, of course you can host your own web site, which is not that hard to achieve.

There are two ways - you can host it of your IP address (which is not a pretty way). Plus, if your IP is dynamic and not static, you're in trouble because your primary web site's address will be changing every time your ISP changes it.

OR you can buy yourself a domain name. It costs less than $10 a year, so its a great investment since you own it, too. I recommend www.GoDaddy.com for all your domain needs. www.Enom.com is not a bad registrar as well.

To setup your own web site, I found this easy to follow step-by-step guide that might help you achieve it:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/

If you are not on Cable or DSL high-speed Internet, your web site's performance will be quite poor.

Hope this helps.

1. If you're not on DSL with a static IP and that allows you to run a web server it's a definite NO NO. Your 56k provider will not be capable of providing your site to others, and that's final. I recommend choosing a web host. You may consider posting a web hosting request in the appropriate forum here.

For your site, do you want it to be dynamic? That said do you want to be able to add/edit/remove sites or move them up and down your rank, add/edit/remove categories, etc. or do you just want to make it and post it and that be final - known as a "static" site simply because the data is fixed. If you want a static site, I recommend you try a WYSIWYG editor. www.adobe.com has a very nice one called GoLive as do www.macromedia.com with Dreamweaver. However, these are in the ~$500 range and perhaps above your budget. You might try Microsoft FrontPage which is in the ~$100 range I believe, or one of the free ones (which are generally not easy to use and have little features) found at www.download.com or another downloads directory. If you want dynamic AND you want to do it yourself, you will NEED to use code. This means a ~12 months learning curve. Try www.php.net, it's a great language :)

If you need further assistance or would like help with hosting or coding your site, just give me a shout. Click Profile and PM me or Email me. Probably best to email me as I don't check my PMs as often as emails :)

Have you tried digging up something at http://www.hotscripts.com?

You are bound to find the script you need there and should be able to have it installed on your hosting account without any problems. Just make sure you have access to a CGI-BIN or that you can execute scripts with your current subscription.

Cheers,