Sub-domains do not work.

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to install a blog on TalkFreelance.com and set it to:

http://blog.talkfreelance.com

Unfortunately, something is causing an error and the domain is not functioning the way it should. It just won't load that sub-domain. The previous owners of that domain are long gone, so that leaves me in the blind.

Where can we at least start looking for a problem?

I'm the other admin at TFL. I'd just like to add there's nothing in the htaccess which could make it do this:

Code:
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=do_l

RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+).html$ showthread.php?t=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^lastpostinthread([0-9]+).html$ showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^newpostinthread([0-9]+).html$ showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^f([0-9]+)-(.*).html$ forumdisplay.php?forumid=$1 [L]

Is the cpanel-server also your primary nameserver
i.e. the same machine ns1.(domain) point at ?

In which case the subdomain hasn't updated the zone correctly - try removing it, restarting named and adding it again

If the cpanel box isn't your nameserver then the problem should be obvious ;)

Not sure how your domain DNS is managed but definitely you need to add an A record for blog.talkfreelance.com and point to your server IP.

Unfortunately, something is causing an error and the domain is not functioning the way it should. It just won't load that sub-domain. The previous owners of that domain are long gone, so that leaves me in the blind.

is this a cpanel server? I had a problem like this and cpanel had to fix it.

Check DNS settings. At the very least, post the error you're getting...

Where can I check the DNS settings? In cPanel? Where do I go? What do I click on there? :dknow:

This is kinda funny but lol.

whois talkfreelance.com
[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
[Redirected to whois.enom.com]
[Querying whois.enom.com]
[whois.enom.com]

Name Servers:
ns1.handsonwebhosting.com
ns2.handsonwebhosting.com

[root@ns1 ~]#

Your host manages your DNS by the looks of it, unless you own this host...

subdomain IN A 123.xx.xxx....
subdomain IN CNAME domain.com.

Just ask your host to add it all, if you setup the DNS to your own it would be easier, you would be best giving the account a dedicated IP for those records, or you can just point it and configure apache.

If you're using cPanel, you can go into the "Advanced DNS Zone Editor" under the Domains section (if available with your provider). In there you should be able to find the sub-domain "blog.talkfreelance.com"
and be able to edit the DNS to point to whatever IP you want, or redirect it to another domain.

I'm not really sure if this is what you're trying to do or not, though. :confused:

Again, if you're using cPanel, you can also try deleting the sub-domain and creating it again a few minutes later to see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes little bugs and glitches can happen when creating addon domains and sub-domains (from my experience using cPanel), but can easily be fixed by deleting the current and creating a new one.

I wanted to thank everyone who has responded to this issue with their suggestions and help. I have finally gotten the time last night for this problem and have asked my provider to add an A record to blog.talkfreelance.com, which fixed it! :)

Woo Hoo ;)

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner Artashes or I would have been on this in a heart beat.

Since the server in question does not manage it's own DNS, modifying through WHM etc would not have any effect. The modification needed to be done on a DNS level (one of our dns machines) so that the internet knew where to go with the subdomain.

All is well in TFL land again. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner!

Its not your fault, Conor, nor a responsibility to track down our issues on forums. It was up to me to submit the ticket. And when I did, Eva was on it and we had a fix within 15 minutes. :D