Softlayer two cents?

webhostpython

Hey there,
We used to use Softlayer a while back. Its been a while. What are your two cents on them? If you host with them or have in the past, I'd like to hear your two cents.

We had more than 300 servers at The Planet before Softlayer took over. Their lack of support/management prompted us to leave them.

In years past we were always in contact with someone from management or a sales rep etc, but ever since they took over, we were pretty much abandoned. So we took our money, and gave it to other places that actually appreciated our business and several hundred thousand that we spend with them every year!

Not used them myself but I have heard not so good things about them from 2 clients who moved to us.

And the price does not suit the feedback imo

We have services online in Dallas Seattle and Washington. through a reseller named 100tb.com I will say the servers are top notch but the bandwidth provided is hard to beat.

We are currently housed in Softlayer, however we are no longer accepting orders for Softlayer services and have since moved to a different provider. Their lack of response for network outages is must frustrating, and as others have said, lack of support is ultimately what caused us to find a new vendor.

Softlayer abuse team do not even respond or react when you report spam to them direct or though spamcop. to me and spamcop this is the reaction of a company that are involved in the spam themselves.

Softlayer abuse team do not even respond or react when you report spam to them direct or though spamcop. to me and spamcop this is the reaction of a company that are involved in the spam themselves.

This is a harsh allegation.

I've made a few reports on spammers over the past few years. Not once have I been contacted by a provider I was submitting the reports to. That, however, doesn't mean the company is involved in spamming. They might be acting on the collected information in their own way. They don't have to respond to reports of abuse if they don't want to.

i have records from spamcop over the last 3 weeks all from IPs from the same subnet belonging to softlayer along with send emails i have sent.
Normally when i send spam reports i usually get a polite reply saying thank you ans we are taking action against the offender.
but when you get at least 1 spam originating from a provider almost daily for 3 weeks and each time you report it and nothing is done then conclusion has to be they are involved in the spam or they could not care less their network is being used by spammers.

i find it strange that softlayer seem to ignore spam reports etc. when their own CEO Lance Crosby, Esq. is a licensed attorney in the State of Texas and an active member of the State Bar of Texas.

We had few servers couple of years back and at that time, support was great and we were getting initial ticket reply with 20 minutes. But these days, initially reply almost taking more than 1 hour.

Last edited:
Softlayer is a great network but overpriced IMO. I would personally spend the extra money and just house with Internap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8