Site changed to dark-mode first - opinions?

John @ S4

Web design should be mobile-first, but should it also be 'dark mode' first?

Dark sites save energy (and therefore CO2), save mobile device battery life, and according to research also reduce eye strain in the majority of light conditions.

So, not only have we spent a bunch of time recently adding a dark mode to the S4 site, but we've also taken the decision to make it the default (you can change back to light mode at any time).

How do you feel about dark sites, the future of web design, or just a passing trend, and if there any opinions on our implementation then I'd love to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan of dark mode on just about everything, except blogs and forums.

One of the things about reading is that the brain has been trained to read black text on white/gray backgrounds, be it a book, newspaper or magazine. People read faster with black text.

I'm sure with time, people will get faster reading white text.

But again, big fan on my end!

For me personally I like it mostly because of the user experience aspect, not so much so much about saving energy, although that is important as well. I'm usually a bit more diligent with darkmode while using my phone than when I'm on desktop.

Also I feel like businesses who have the darkmode option are often very professional so if you implement it your perceived value goes up I would assume.