Shoutcasts & Gameserver

GordyMac

Does anyone know anything about these two hosting services? I want to possibly get into hosting them but I need to find more information about them first, so please tell me what you know, only thing I know about them is what they are, I don't a thing about hosting them, so please help me out :)

Well a game server is what people connect to when they want to play a multiplayer game. I don't know to much about them, but one of the worlds most popular gameserver company's is gamespy. Maybe you'll be able to get some info off them.

One of the members here is a game server host, sorry cant remember his username but remember someone posting about game servers before

Gordy, If its something you don't know much about, I would suggest doing a lot of research before hosting it. Because otherwise a support call might be rather difficult for you :)

Game hosting - this generally uses 400-700MB disk space per game and about 150GB transfer if you have a 16 player game. I would suggest only running these on sturdy servers and only 2-3 games per server.
If you are just supplying the space and transfer you could pretty much just create the account and let the user do it from there. If you are installing the game itself make sure you get familiar with unpacking rars and rpms in linux, and editing the config scripts so they use the right port. Ive set up a few Half-life(mods) and it took me about 30-45 minutes. However since Valve just released whats called Steam Software (like game spy) it might be a little more complicated.

Shoutcast servers..... I wouldnt even waste your time unless you have a 10mbit + burstable server... most streaming audio/video uses 128k rates... that will leave a nice dent in your wallet if you arent too careful.

Thanks for the gameserver information, and about the Shoutcasts, I never thought about that, yeah it could really run up quite a big bill.. I will deffinatly have to think about this more, alot more.

Do you know if many shoutcast hosts pre-charge new users for a server since it uses so much bandwidth?
If they didnt pay you could end up with a bit of debt on your hands...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8