Should I use Email Hosting?

Email hosting offers the latest anti-spam, anti-virus and security technologies. Plus they have live support 24/7 , keep that in mind

who says

so if joe blogs on ebay offers Email Hosting for 20p a year the would be also be offering the latest anti-spam, anti-virus and security technologies. Plus they will have live support 24/7

i think you need to check facts before posting such things

Email hosting offers the latest anti-spam, anti-virus and security technologies. Plus they have live support 24/7 , keep that in mind

I agree with easyhostmedia.

I think alot depends on the company you choose for your email hosting.

For most people who don't want their email with their host a change of MX records and proper configuration at gmail or hotmail is satisfactory.

However, once email is taken away from the host, who is backing it up?

the advantage is if you have little space then you can tap into the 15GB that Google gives every account. And Google is definitely more reliable than many of the shared hosts.

totally agree with that. We're using Google for our mail needs, but under our domain name.
And of course, if you're running business, it's not very professional to have it like yourcompanyname@gmail.com

And I don't think there may be something better and reliable than Google one. So think about it.

Of course the advantage is if you have little space then you can tap into the 15GB that Google gives every account. .

Most shared hosts practice "disk aggregation" and misleads customer with promises of "unlimited email." This means if you have a 3 GB plan and your website is using 2GB, you have only 1 GB left for all that "Unlimited email." Unlimited email is hence a marketing gimmick used by shared hosts to get you to purchase limited plans. (And if that is not enough silliness, many limited hosts in forums will proclaim "there is no such thing as unlimited" while offering unlimited email.)

Last edited:
totally agree with that. We're using Google for our mail needs, but under our domain name.
And of course, if you're running business, it's not very professional to have it like yourcompanyname@gmail.com

And I don't think there may be something better and reliable than Google one. So think about it.

By the way is you have your emails hosted by your host, you can setup say yourcompanyname@gmail.com go to its settings and setup fetch mail and also send mail as yourcompanyname@yourdomain.com. Set it as a fefault and you will send and receive emails as yourcompanyname@yourdomain.com without paying for google Apps and its very legal

By the way is you have your emails hosted by your host, you can setup say yourcompanyname@gmail.com go to its settings and setup fetch mail and also send mail as yourcompanyname@yourdomain.com. Set it as a fefault and you will send and receive emails as yourcompanyname@yourdomain.com without paying for google Apps and its very legal

That's fine if you are a one-person company and hence the only person in the company that requires email. However its not a good way to go, for several reasons, if you have employees and have them each create a gmail account to send and receive from the company domain

That's fine if you are a one-person company and hence the only person in the company that requires email. However its not a good way to go, for several reasons, if you have employees and have them each create a gmail account to send and receive from the company domain

Its definitely tiresome to setup but it gets the Job done IF you have no budget and still want to use the Gmail features

Its definitely tiresome to setup but it gets the Job done IF you have no budget and still want to use the Gmail features

If you have employees, then I am sure you have the budget for a business-class email solution. Asking employees to set up individual gmail accounts just to get more disk space, and as an alternative to the email that comes with hosting, is silly. Business class email is not that expensive compared to other IT expenses. As a matter of fact, its usually the case that the more successful and big a business becomes email becomes more mission-critical than the web site.

Last edited:
A lot of large corporations wont allow company emails to be redirected too free email addresses like gmail.

just like a lot of online retailers and hosts won't allow customers to sign up with free email addresses.

A lot of large corporations wont allow company emails to be redirected too free email addresses like gmail..

That's right and for good reasons, including legal, financial and regulatory. Even if employers allow their staff to POP company email -- from company email server -- into their own client (eg, gmail, outlook.com, yahoo mail, etc.) the company still must keep an archive of the email for X number of years.

The current suggestion by certain others above that using large and free gmail mailboxes as a way to get around inadequate disk space from shared-hosting email is crazy for those reasons. The company would lose all control of their email since mail would have to be deleted off server when POPed

The current suggestion by certain others above that using large and free gmail mailboxes as a way to get around inadequate disk space from shared-hosting email is crazy for those reasons. The company would lose all control of their email since mail would have to be deleted off server when POPed

You can actually ask that a copy be left on the server if you wish during setup. I must stress again that work arounds are ONLY meant for one who is struggling to make ends meet the right way NOT for everyone.

You can actually ask that a copy be left on the server if you wish during setup.

Recall from above that the 15gb gmail mailbox was suggested as a way to get around the space limits on email provided with a shared hosting account. If you POP without deleting you will still be limited by the shared hosting space. Thus, if you have a 3 GB hosting plan and you use all of that for email (no web site) then you will only be storing up to 3GB of email in the 15GB gmail mailbox (after 3GB no more mail will be received at host and there will be nothing more to POP)

Last edited:
look at 123-reg they offer 2 std email hosting a 5GB and 25GB

their 5GB is £2.99 a month just for email, but you can get their 100GB shared hosting for the same price.

so it pays to check what the host offers as it could be cheaper or work out better getting std hosting plan rather than a dedicated email hosting plan

They are expensive. Maybe I should raise my prices?

Yes they are, but the point i was making is before jumping into email hosting you need to look at the hosts std hosting as you could get more space for the same money.

I have 1 client who is a hosted client and his emails alone are nearly 12GB

Recall from above that the 15gb gmail mailbox was suggested as a way to get around the space limits on email provided with a shared hosting account. If you POP without deleting you will still be limited by the shared hosting space. Thus, if you have a 3 GB hosting plan and you use all of that for email (no web site) then you will only be storing up to 3GB of email in the 15GB gmail mailbox (after 3GB no more mail will be received at host and there will be nothing more to POP)

Yes you are correct. You would be limited by the limits BUT that does not mean you can not afford to keep useful mail for X days before you delete them to free space again. See we are discussing a situation where the client has no option to make the service better in as far as making an extra budget is concerned. These are normally smaller clients normally who are just starting out and most times without a client yet and in many cases no office too. I dont see a stable corporate looking for ways to workaround just a few more dollars