Server VS Desktop Hardware

siforek

As we all may already know, server hardware can be 2-3 times more expensive, yet is designed for servers, so it may last longer, etc.. A host may choose to use both or either depending. I'd like to get some opinions from others on the dis/advantages of both.

I think if you're in this long term, then rack mounted servers is the way to go to maximize your investment.

IMHO there is a difference.

The load a server endures (that actually hosts websites) is certainly much more than the average desktop machine. Think about how much our computer idles in the grand scheme. Worst case scenario is you have an intense graphic design program up for a few hours. Despite not having the intense program, servers are serving content 24/7 to humans and other computers. Traffic varies, and the resulting heavy load of maybe backing up, processing large log files, and serving PHP scripts adds up. The difference being this happens often, and not just here and there.

Aside from the obvious issues like space (not in play quite as much anymore), hardware needs to be the best suited for its environment. In the case of a server, you have a demanding environment not experienced with a desktop computer. It makes sense to pay a little more and use the better hardware because it's in use much more often.

We rarely use a desktop type system for servers, instead we use SuperMicro boards and a Rack case not only for performance and cooling, but space constraints and keeping costs down. Server hardware DOES cost more, but servers are designed for 24/7/365. Desktop configurations are not USUALLY intended to operate at such levels for years on end.

It's more than that...

Most server memory should be registered (holds the data in registers for 1 clock cycle for better reliability), and error-checking and correcting so when (it is when not if) a bit error does pop up it fixes it on the fly.

Even hard drives are different. For example western digital's "RE" series have different firmware than desktop drives. The "RE" drives have a different error recovery setup. They limit the time to attempt recovery at the drive level moving the intelligence to the controller... Why is this important? ... because if there is a problem, with a desktop drive the controller is signifigantly more likely to drop the drive out of the array (fallout). Did you know that most drive manufacturer's won't support a non-raid drive in a raid setup? While it will probably work, if you have issues your on your own.

Personal boards, firmware, etc. for servers tend to be designed more for rock-solid 24x7x365 operation while desktops tend to compete on numbers... oh this model turns 9998 uselessmarks, where that one only does 9800...

Enterprise rated hardware is a lot better for servers, in my opinion. But that does come with a cost, so maybe not so good for those who are very cost conscious.

Desktop hardware will do the job, you normally get better performance and life out of the server hardware but the main thing is space and power savings from the none desktop hardware!

I think depends on your needs and money.
Server is designed to run 24/7/365 with great performance and stability more than desktop hardware.
The best for host is using server hardware to protect your investment and business.

I feel more safe with a Server then a Desk Top Server. The server is made for what it dose and it dose more. Even though it cost more you don't really need to worry about big problems that a Desk Top Would.

Server grade hardware durability/reliability and performance greatly exceeds consumer grade hardware.

Can you get away with 'white-box' consumer hardware? Yes
Would you want to? Yes, but it depends on what you are doing.
Would I do it? Not at the moment, no... I would reserve that for 'budget offerings.'

If you are hosting VPS containers, you definitely want Server Grade Hardware :)

Server hardware and Desktop hardware, there is a big difference.....Server hardwares have long durability and more support of RAM and Disk space.

Always choose server hardwares for server it costs bit but it is what it is meant for.

Thanks
Steve
TheSSLStore

Servers offer RAID, redundancy and can be configured for load balancing should you have a busy site.

Desktops are not really designed for this and should not be used for business critical web sites.

I've seen desktops used for years. Some of the older models are still running NT. I have seen some newer tower server models only last a year or two. You're better off in the long run buying a rack mounted server. I think a lot of it has to do with cooling and the type of harware they use to build servers vs towers.

Desktop systems suck power and fail often. I would suggest investing in enterprise equipment. We did and are not regretting any moment of this. I have had so many clients switch to us because their desktop server died. We have servers still running that are 10+ years old, you get what you pay for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zentekinfosoft