server stability

Use tried and trusted hardware combinations. Often, some piece of hardware won't be compatible with a particular version of your operating system. Ask a system builder that has these experience.

Make sure you're on the latest versions (but be sure to check that these versions are safe).

Keep the risks down - don't run things that might crash it, cause high load until it falls over, etc...

How do you provide the stability of your servers?

@1packet - you're a web hosting provider offering 24x7x365 support, 24 hour installation and according to your website, you've been providing web hosting since 2005.

How do YOU provide stability to your customers?

Rather than posting one liners to get your post count up, please provide information regarding what it is that you actually do at your company to provide "stability of your servers"

How do you provide the stability of your servers?

After the server installation, Apache recompilation process should be run.Moreover, to increase the server stability you can install the second web server, like Nginx.

You should also have the software of the latest versions, the servers shouldn't be overcrowded with customers( not more than 200-300 clients on the server).

Besides, install a good Firewall, like CSF and the necessary Apache security modules, like mod_security.

I think it was just a sig plug but anyone can provide stability to their web servers by simply being attentive, not trying experimental such or messing with kernel compiles when you dont know how.

As far as nginx admin or nginxcp I really see no benefit there besides static files and that is neglible. Apache still has to handle the php processes and php process assignment so I think its a negligible performance increase if any. PLus I have seen actual stability problems running this way. Neither of those apps are maintained that great. The free one, nginxcp I think is maintained ok but there is still issues with it.

I agree on CSF firewall too and something like cloudlinux could also protect stability. ONe thing though if you run cloudlinux do not run anything else using inotify like maldet or cxs, causes huge problems with i/o

with openvz as your hosting server your stability could depend on situations far from your control. It it is a good provider and you know the node isnt loaded or oversold then maybe, just maybe you can stay stable but openvz is not full virtulaztion and anyone else s i/o can easily kill yours. I wouldnt advise an openvz vm for starting a hosting biz, you can get cheap older gen dedicated these days that would do much better.

with openvz as your hosting server your stability could depend on situations far from your control. It it is a good provider and you know the node isnt loaded or oversold then maybe, just maybe you can stay stable but openvz is not full virtulaztion and anyone else s i/o can easily kill yours. I wouldnt advise an openvz vm for starting a hosting biz, you can get cheap older gen dedicated these days that would do much better.

what a load of rubbish, 9/10 servers are open VZ and i have had my hosting biz on OpenVZ for the last 8 years and been fully stable

How is that rubbish?

Openvz is not true virtulization but container based like freebsd jails. Have you ever ran an Openvz hypervizor or simply just had containers on one?

I am not saying it is bad technology. It can do well as long as the server is not overloaded. And still other users can effect each other on a node. Meaning someone could hog any of the resources and leave you lagging or completely down.

And no, Im afraid 9 out of 10 servers or not openvz. There are many things beyond you control on an openvz container that could effect your stability or uptime.

PLUS if the host and container kernels are not kept up to date and secured an entire node and all of its vms can be compromised.

Openvz is not a bad tech, its just for cheaper vz hosting. If you are starting a hosting business you are much better off having your own dedicated and if on budget xen HVM, or even xenpv and vmware vps would be better solutions then openvz.

When you say something is rubbish, back it up with proof please. I never said the tech was bad but if you pick the wrong openvz provider or even a good one that has a bad incident then you could have significant enough downtime to loose clients and if no remote or local backups then you could lose everything but that holds true on no matter what technology you use.

Congrats on running a successful hosting business for 8 years. There are pros and cons of every VM/Container tech but Id advise anyone starting out to go the extra step instead of buying a cheap openvz vps and instead look at other options that can insure smooth running and low possibility of incidents.

How is that rubbish?

Openvz is not true virtulization but container based like freebsd jails. Have you ever ran an Openvz hypervizor or simply just had containers on one?

I am not saying it is bad technology. It can do well as long as the server is not overloaded. And still other users can effect each other on a node. Meaning someone could hog any of the resources and leave you lagging or completely down.

And no, Im afraid 9 out of 10 servers or not openvz. There are many things beyond you control on an openvz container that could effect your stability or uptime.

PLUS if the host and container kernels are not kept up to date and secured an entire node and all of its vms can be compromised.

Openvz is not a bad tech, its just for cheaper vz hosting. If you are starting a hosting business you are much better off having your own dedicated and if on budget xen HVM, or even xenpv and vmware vps would be better solutions then openvz.

When you say something is rubbish, back it up with proof please. I never said the tech was bad but if you pick the wrong openvz provider or even a good one that has a bad incident then you could have significant enough downtime to loose clients and if no remote or local backups then you could lose everything but that holds true on no matter what technology you use.

Congrats on running a successful hosting business for 8 years. There are pros and cons of every VM/Container tech but Id advise anyone starting out to go the extra step instead of buying a cheap openvz vps and instead look at other options that can insure smooth running and low possibility of incidents.

but if you pick the wrong openvz provider or even a good one that has a bad incident then you could have significant enough downtime to loose clients and if no remote or local backups then you could lose everything but that holds true on no matter what technology you use.

This can go with any virtulization as picking a bad provider does not always fall on the hardware they provide. a prime example is David Buik we had an account with the company he took over for 3 years with 100% uptime and great support, then he took over and it went downhill faster than the bullett train.

I wouldnt advise an openvz vm for starting a hosting biz, you can get cheap older gen dedicated these days that would do much better.

Starting a Hosting business most people would start with a reseller account which is advisable until you build a clientbase, also some people would go for a cheap VPS, which you could get a openvz VPS with cpanel from $30 which you would be very pushed to get a dedicated for that amount.

I have actually been offering hosting since 1999, but had my own servers for the last 8 years

but if you pick the wrong openvz provider or even a good one that has a bad incident then you could have significant enough downtime to loose clients and if no remote or local backups then you could lose everything but that holds true on no matter what technology you use.

This can go with any virtulization as picking a bad provider does not always fall on the hardware they provide. a prime example is David Buik we had an account with the company he took over for 3 years with 100% uptime and great support, then he took over and it went downhill faster than the bullett train.

I wouldnt advise an openvz vm for starting a hosting biz, you can get cheap older gen dedicated these days that would do much better.

Starting a Hosting business most people would start with a reseller account which is advisable until you build a clientbase, also some people would go for a cheap VPS, which you could get a openvz VPS with cpanel from $30 which you would be very pushed to get a dedicated for that amount.

I have actually been offering hosting since 1999, but had my own servers for the last 8 years

I agree, I myself once started out with a $15 reseller account in 2005.

I have just had bad experiences with openvz myself and better ones with xen hvm when it comes to vps but xen is higher. I would advise though against starter hosts getting any deal on an openvz host that is too good to be true like the $5.99 ones and such as usually the node is very crowded.

But if a client could say, get a xen hmv or vmware vps for $30 with cpanel wouldnt you say go for that instead?