Server Management

GordyMac

What is YOUR deffinition of both FULL SERVER MANAGMENT and SEMI SERVER MANAGEMENT.. I'm not too sure so I just want to compare different members ideas to help me figure it out.

Fully managed to me is when someone would install and update absolutely everything for you as updates come out.

Semi managed I'm not really sure.. maybe they do it upon request or only do little things.. I'm kinda lost here..

Also what are the average costs for both?

First one I would say is where you can install stuff by yourself and also everything is up to you.... and SEMI SERVER MANAGEMENT i would guess thats where the host would make sure everything works etc and if you needed something doing they would do it at your request.

But this could be different if it was dedicated or semi-dedicated etc

SEMI and FULLY managed are terms that very from company to company.

However they normally have these features in common.

SEMI - They will keep the kernel / apache / php up to date and secure. Also monitor ping times on services and maybe a few other small things.

FULLY - You site back and do your work.... they handle the entire backend of the server.

So with fully managed if pretty much ANYTHING went wrong, they fix it? where as if semi they only fix certain things for free leaving you to pay extra if you want something fixed not covered under the semi managment?

Alright, the reason I am asking is I became really good friends with this guy, and he works at a computer place in the US, securing boxes and such, so he knows all about this and we were thinking on teaming up and offering server managment.