Seasons Greetings

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
New Year resolutions come and go, and some go a lot faster than others, like getting in shape. It just seems that our intentions are always good at the beginning of each New Year, but we falter on carrying through with certain resolutions, especially those that require some will power.

In the United States, getting fit routinely tops the list of resolutions – stuff like eating right combined with exercising (and that doesn’t include walking back and forth to the refrigerator). The trick to eating nutritional foods is to reach outside of your comfort zone, to understand why you eat the foods you do now. Forming new eating habits requires learning how to control those emotions that lead you to the kitchen. Diets don’t normally work because they’re not sustainable. We simply don’t look at diets as a lifetime commitment, rather a way to lose weight so we can go back to eating like we always have. Improved results are always linked to more exercise, which makes sense. Lean muscle mass burns more calories at rest than fat does. This means you’ll burn more calories while you’re sleeping!

Attitude adjustment resolutions don’t rank real high, but are still important

We’re all forced to live with each other on planet Earth, so why not work on being nicer to everyone you interact with this New Year? Being rude or obnoxious simply isn’t productive or healthy. Part of living in a civilized society is respecting others who are different than you, either in their religious beliefs, political inclinations, mannerisms, culture or thousands of other things. Wouldn’t it be a boring world if we were all alike?

Paying more attention to our surroundings

This is a resolution that encompasses any number of goals, the very least of which should be focusing more attention on what’s going on around you rather than focusing mainly on yourself. For example, sometimes helping others in need around you actually helps you as well. Or picture yourself standing on a beach looking out over the ocean and think about how long those very waves you see rushing to and from your feet have been doing just that – possibly the very same water that dinosaurs waded in.

Prioritize your down time

Watching less TV while prioritizing that time for activities better spent being productive is tough because we’ve all grown to watch our favorite shows, and giving up any of them to do stuff like exercise seems too much like work. You’ll feel so much better though when those few minutes of exercise result in a slimmer, healthier you.

Have a glorious Christmas and New Year - Semper Fi

I used to set resolutions for years. I tried to be specific and I really tried to stick to them. At best, my motivation lasted me 10-15 days. 😂

I knew my problem was productivity, so every time I wished to find something that would help keep me disciplined at not wasting time and doing as much as I can every day. But I focused on the wrong approaches, setting "read at least 30 minutes a day" kind of resolutions, without thinking about a method that would help me nail those checkboxes, fixing the productive bottom line. After passing through dozens of apps, clients and methods, I am just happy that this year I found one solution that finally made me happy with my daily volume of quality workload. And it also keeps me disciplined.

So I am not setting any new resolutions for 2022, except maybe getting more kind to everyone.

1. Exercise more
  2. Lose weight
  3. Get organized
  4. Learn a new skill or hobby
  5. Live life to the fullest
  6. Save more money / spend less money
  7. Quit smoking
  8. Spend more time with family and friends
  9. Travel more
mainly keep current goals going.

Forum statistics

Threads